Domain forgery

ivarley

For the past few days, my domain appears to have been used by spammers as the forged "From Address" on spam. I've been receiving tons of bouncebacks for spam sent from non-existant emails at my domain (e.g. JohnDoe[at]mydomain.com). I got about 50 bounces last night. I'm getting the bouncebacks because I have the catchall email feature turned on (and of course, spamcop is holding them as spam).

My question is twofold.

1) Is there anything I can do about this?

2) If I don't do anything, will it cause bigger problems for me, or will it just go away?

The domain in question is droptrio.com. I'd love to make sure it doesn't get blacklisted by spamcop or other services, since it is a legit domain. I fear it's already happened, though; emails sent to a valid email address at my domain (that forwards to Yahoo) from my [at]droptrio address haven't been getting through for the past few days, whereas emails sent from my other aliases go through fine. This is a domain from which I send (legitimate, opt-in) group emails to my mailing list, and I'd hate to think that this would prevent my info from getting through.

Thanks!

Ian Varley

ivarley[at]spamcop

Technically, this is not a "Reporting" issue. I'll toss out a some comments here, but will actually be looking for an existing Topic/Discussion to Move/Merge this post into ....

For the past few days, my domain appears to have been used by spammers as the forged "From Address" on spam.

Thanks for using goof terminology. The problem in finding any of the previos conversations on this subject are that so many folks want to create their own words/definitions of things 'new' to them. Your description does not come close to what a joe-job is, but unfortunately, you can find many instances of this word used within this Forum itself (usually followed by some commentary that it wasn't a joe-job ..)

I've been receiving tons of bouncebacks for spam sent from non-existant emails at my domain (e.g. JohnDoe[at]mydomain.com). I got about 50 bounces last night. I'm getting the bouncebacks because I have the catchall email feature turned on (and of course, spamcop is holding them as spam).

And you'll nailed the general suggestion right on the head .. turn off the catch-all function, define the actual valid addresses and ignore/block the rest.

1) Is there anything I can do about this?

How deep are your pockets? Does your lawyer love you yet?

2) If I don't do anything, will it cause bigger problems for me, or will it just go away?

Most folks, including myself, can point to the historical that someone else gets their turn in the bucket after a few days or weeks .. depends on the spammer involved for the most part.

The domain in question is droptrio.com. I'd love to make sure it doesn't get blacklisted by spamcop or other services, since it is a legit domain.

For at least the millionth time, the SpamCopDNSBL doesn't deal with Domain names, only IP addresses involved in sourcing the spew.

I fear it's already happened, though; emails sent to a valid email address at my domain (that forwards to Yahoo) from my [at]droptrio address haven't been getting through for the past few days, whereas emails sent from my other aliases go through fine.

33667[/snapback]

I would suggest a bit more research into that issue. Yes, there are clueless folks out there that will build filters based on the "From: address contents. Hey, that worked in the old days, when 'net' folks were trustworthy <g>

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot - as you mentioned, I searched and couldn't find a matching topic, not knowing the best terminology.

turn off the catch-all function, define the actual valid addresses and ignore/block the rest...
Is it harmful if I keep the catch-all on, just so I can see what's going on? Assuming that I carefully get rid of all the undeliverable mail, of course.
Most folks, including myself, can point to the historical that someone else gets their turn in the bucket after a few days or weeks .. depends on the spammer involved for the most part.
That answers my questions. Thanks! Just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something extra I should be doing. Besides cursing.

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot - as you mentioned, I searched and couldn't find a matching topic, not knowing the best terminology.

No problem ... one of those 'little things I keep thinking about doing is going back through those old posts and editing a bit to add some words to 'help the internal search a bit, but .... as said, folks using their own terms, not using a good Topic Title, on and on .... believe me, I understand the "no results found" problem <g> It's embarrassing when I can't 'find' one of my own posts (gracefully) because I can't remember how I 'phrased' something <g>

Is it harmful if I keep the catch-all on, just so I can see what's going on?

No harm beyond the time spent/lost on keeping track of it <g> Totally your call.

Assuming that I carefully get rid of all the undeliverable mail, of course.That answers my questions. Thanks! Just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something extra I should be doing. Besides cursing.

33681[/snapback]

again, you're at the mercy of the lowlife types taking advantage of a system built around "trust" ... easy to do in a Government/Military environment with a Chain-of-Command involved, not so easy in the "real world" <g>

Archived