Is it worth the time to report domain impersonatio

kensey

I own the domain orion-com.com. In the last few months I seem to have gotten on the bad side of ROKSO spammer Alex Blood/"Ryan Kelly": periodically a massive spam run advertising URLs traceable to him will use From: addresses that reference my domain. Since I have a blind forward on my domain, invalid-address bounces actually show up in my mailbox, though helpfully pre-sorted into the "spam" folder.

Since the domain is itself my online identity in a way, is it worth tracking and reporting the various websites advertised to the host services (usually Chinanet or Kornet)? Is there any effective recourse for an American whose identity is in some degree being impersonated by a Ukrainian (moreover, a Ukrainian whose business is registered in Belize and whose hosting is in various places in eastern Asia)?

Interestingly the first version of this was a series of messages (about one every day or two, for months) purporting to originate from orion[at]orion-com.com, sent to orion[at]orion-company.ru, which kept getting bounced back from orion-company.ru because of virus-infected attachments. I complained to the ISP of the originating machine (Communications Enterprises Ltd., in Guatemala), and when that initially had no results, to their upstream provider (Sprint). After the second complaint, the impersonation runs started.

Unfortunately, unless you have lots of money to spend on various attorneys that can deal with international law, there is not much you can do here other than wait it out.

I would go ahead and report the spamvertised websites, as well as the sources of spam where possible, but kornet is notorious for being very slow (as in not at all) when it comes to shutting them down.

I own the domain orion-com.com.

37462[/snapback]

Hi kensey!

The simple answer to your question is no! In my opinion it is rarely worth spending time reporting domain impersonation. Invariably the spew dies down after a while and you, like most of us, have probably got far better things to be concerned with. <_<

Andrew

Archived