IPB Needs "Go to Next Unread" Button

loafman

What would make the board much more scannable by those of us that are fast readers would be a locked-in-place Go to Next Unread button. That way we could get through the posts with a minumum of mouse clicks. Put it in the header so it stays in one place and that could replace the 'N'ext button on most newsreaders.

Takes way to much navigation to scan the board.

...Ken

Try looking up at the top of the screen ... My Controls .... click on the "View New Posts" .... I'm guessing that this is close to what you're asking for ...

Its close, but when I hit Next, I want it to go to the next unread post, regardless of thread, regardless of forum, i.e. Next at end of thread would take me to the next unread message in the next thread, jumping to the next forum if needed until all subscribed forums are read.

Quotes provide all the context I need to immediately remember the thread, so transition is easy, even between forums. Right now, I have to 1) enter the thread, 2) read the message(s), 3) exit the thread, 4) select the Next thread, repeat. That's 4 steps where only one of them provides useful information.

...Ken

Well, I tried ... know it wasn't what you were asking for, but ... as long as I'm pointing out buttons .. down at the bottom of a "read" thread, there's the "next newest" .. the link on this page seems to contain the URL for this thread with some extensions ... so off to try i myself, I guess ..

OK, came back with "no Topics newer than this one" .. and I know that there are other unread items in other Forums .. oh well ...

• 1 year later...

Have you yet tried the "My Assistant" link? In all honesty, I hadn't messed with it. However, Matt has been adding a lot of stuff to the upcoming 2.1 version, and this 'item' does offer some alternate capabilities.

Have you yet tried the "My Assistant" link?  In all honesty, I hadn't messed with it.  However, Matt has been adding a lot of stuff to the upcoming 2.1 version, and this 'item' does offer some alternate capabilities.

28341[/snapback]

Looks a lot like the "View New Posts" with the one exception that replies to posts originated by you are listed separately. Some gain, but not enough.

There may still be time ... head on over to Invision Power Board ... hit the "Company Forums" ... I believe you'll have to register to post, but there is the "Suggstions" Forum down towards the bottom. The real issue is that you'll be able to see the 'new' version (currently 2.1 Alpha 3) to see if perhaps it's already been taken care of. I can tell you that the last two items I brought up are both resolved in the version running there. I don't use the function, but I know that it has generated quite a bit of traffic.

There may still be time ... head on over to Invision Power Board ... hit the "Company Forums" ... I believe you'll have to register to post, but there is the "Suggstions" Forum down towards the bottom.  The real issue is that you'll be able to see the 'new' version (currently 2.1 Alpha 3) to see if perhaps it's already been taken care of.  I can tell you that the last two items I brought up are both resolved in the version running there.  I don't use the function, but I know that it has generated quite a bit of traffic.

28378[/snapback]

Done. Thanks for the tip.

...Ken

I kicked you a PM 'over there' so you could see the 'new' handling of that notification function ... (noting some issues yet with this ... some FireFox users ending up with the 'Forum listing' in that new window when there are unread PMs ... specifically, reading one but not the next three or four .. reading them all apparently 'clears the problem'?)

I kicked you a PM 'over there' so you could see the 'new' handling of that notification function ... (noting some issues yet with this ... some FireFox users ending up with the 'Forum listing' in that new window when there are unread PMs ... specifically, reading one but not the next three or four .. reading them all apparently 'clears the problem'?)

28398[/snapback]

I encountered that as well. Not a real problem since I don't use the Personal Assistant all that much. Normal approach is to go to http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?act=idx then just hit View New Posts. That's the fastest way through the new messages, at least for now.

...Ken

Have you tried the "Today's Active Topics" at the bottom of the Forum 'front' page? It appears to include all Forum sections, so may be more than you want, but .... it does appear to list 'all' unread posts.

Hmmmm - "next newest" gives an error when reading the 'newest' post ... whereas 'next oldest' takes one to the previous post in the Forum section that the post being read is located ...

• 1 month later...

Archived