relaying denied?

jettero

I have the spamcop email system forward my messages to an account on my MTA...

I'm getting the strangest error on about 8 of 10 messages:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;xxxx[at]xxxxx.org

Action: failed

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.7.1 <xxxx[at]xxxxx.org>... Relaying denied'

Reporting-MTA: dns; c62.cesmail.net

c60.cesmail.net works fine, but c62 hasn't logged in for a while I guess?

Anyway, I have to quit using spamcop starting tonight because 8/10ths of my mail is getting rejected. Lame.

I checked everything I could. I don't believe the problem can be on my servers. I assumed it would go away on it's own, as sometimes spamcop has little problems. But when it didn't go away after a couple days I looked into it in detail. None of these bounce messages originate on my servers and, they only seem to occur with "c62" in the reporting-mta field.

My guess is that it's some sort of internal authentication (broken) mechanism.

I have the spamcop email system forward my messages to an account on my MTA...

My guess is that it's some sort of internal authentication (broken) mechanism.

38717[/snapback]

You can, instead of having email forwarded, just "pop" spamcop the SpamCop email servers are as fast or faster than the ISP you deal with now

Advantage is you take one less problem out of equation.

Ideally just use your [at] SpamCop email address and that removes buggy ISP's entirely

Ideally just use your [at] SpamCop email address and that removes buggy ISP's entirely

38718[/snapback]

But here, it's not the isp that's buggy... it's spamcop. It's their host named c62.cesmail.net... or something related to it.

Hey, if they don't want for the forwarding to work right, then they shouldn't offer it. Otherwise, that's how I want it to work. Oh, it's still doing it too btw. About half my mail DSNs -- but the DSNs deliver fine, because it's not the ISP. It's spamcop's c62 host. It hasn't "logged into imap" in the last 30 minutes.

But here, it's not the isp that's buggy... it's spamcop.  It's their host named c62.cesmail.net... or something related to it.

Hey, if they don't want for the forwarding to work right, then they shouldn't offer it.  Otherwise, that's how I want it to work.  Oh, it's still doing it too btw.  About half my mail DSNs -- but the DSNs deliver fine, because it's not the ISP.  It's spamcop's c62 host.  It hasn't "logged into imap" in the last 30 minutes.

38721[/snapback]

Have you sent this request with supporting data to the support[at]spamcop.net address? We are just other users here with no control over the setup.

It seems unusual that you are the only one seeing this, but it doesn't mean you are not having a problem. JT should be able to help.

Have you sent this request with supporting data to the support[at]spamcop.net address?  We are just other users here with no control over the setup. 

It seems unusual that you are the only one seeing this, but it doesn't mean you are not having a problem.  JT should be able to help.

38722[/snapback]

I mailed it along to one of the addresses listed in one of the announcements in this forum, yes. I suspect there aren't many others that forward all their spamcop.net mail to another location? Most prefering to pop/imap the sc servers? Otherwise I'm certain others would be seing this too. Perhpas it's because the actual recipients don't see it, the senders do.

Who knows. But if you forward your mail to another address, send yourself 10 messages. Some of them will bounce -- I just sent 11: 0, 3, 5, 6, 8 made it through; the rest, instead of bouncing, this time they simply haven't made it to me yet. Perhaps they're working on it. An hour ago they would have bounced instead.

(I'll send it to support[at]spamcop.net as well.)

Whois JT?

Whois JT?

38723[/snapback]

From the FAQ: Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide

J.T. - owner/Admin of the sytem that handles the SpamCop newsgroups, Forum, and filtered e-mail accounts

And I used to forward all my messages to my "secret" ISP account until it was receiving more spam directly than I was receiving from my other accounts combined. When I asked my ISP how an 8 character randomly generated email address could be comprimised without them having sold the address, they had no answer. That was when I turned it around to forward that to spamcop. Reporting does seem to have cleaned up that account, however, as I have not noticed many, if any, messages coming through that channel.

And I used to forward all my messages to my "secret" ISP ...

38724[/snapback]

Heh, assholes. That's somewhat less likely to happen to me though. I'm the mail admin for my ISP. Most of the things SC does I actually do on my own servers anyway. I pay for the SC account each year because I like spamcop (mostly). I'm a little irritated at the moment, but I suspect they're just having holiday cheer this week.

Heh, assholes.    That's somewhat less likely to happen to me though.  I'm the mail admin for my ISP.  Most of the things SC does I actually do on my own servers anyway.  I pay for the SC account each year because I like spamcop (mostly).  I'm a little irritated at the moment, but I suspect they're just having holiday cheer this week.

38725[/snapback]

Something in the back of my mind is remembering a similiar problem in the past with these types of rejections and it did take a tweak on the server side to fix it. Being a long holiday weekend does not help to get this fixed quickly, however. Good luck.

Archived