Increase in Reporting volume?

dbiel

In waching the reporting graphs there seems to be an almost overnight increase in reporting volume of 30%+ starting after Thanksgiving and holding throughout December and now into January.

Has volume actually increase that much? or has the stats themselves changed from underreporting to more accurate total reporting?

I have had a lot more spam during this period as well, most of it is not filtered by Postini (>70%), recognized by spamassasin but not yet in the SpamCop data base, this is a departure from previous trends when SpamCop and Postini both filtered the spam by the time I reported.

I've noticed a substantial increase in both spam and attempted spam as well. I normally block 8000 connections to my mail server per day based on various DNSBLs including the SCBL. So far this year I am averaging about 10,500 connections refused per day. That is fairly consistent with the 30% increase in traffic that you are seeing on spamcop itself. Its hard for me to judge actual received spam by volume as so little gets through my filters that it is a pretty inaccurate sampling.

Archived