Should I submit "postmaster" etc. messages

eeyore

I have a small company and I do their website myself - but I am really stupid about the technical aspects of this. I am getting a lot of message returns, etc. in my mailbox. They all seem to have come from someone putting various letters in front of the web adress and sending it out as spam. I don't understand this, and I have read some FAQ's on Spamcop about this, (I think) but I did not understand the terminology used in the FAQ's. I have reported some of these messages to spamcop, and I get a reply that says "nothing to do".

I don't know if I should keep reporting them or not? Also, is there something I can do to my website "mailto" address to stop this? If you are going to answer this, please do so in the simplest terms. Thank you.

Posted in the Forum section described/defined as:

SpamCop Reporting

How to Instructions Only - Problems and issues belong in the other specific Forum sections

As I see no "tutorial" offered in this post, moving it to the Reporting Help Forum section, as that seems to be the major query.

Terminology: we offer a Glossary, a Dictionary, linked to from the SpamCop FAQ, links provided at the top of this very screen.

Terminology 2: your "someone putting various letters in front of the web adress" is normally called "From: line forgery" .. unfortunately, others choose to use other terms wrongly, such as joejob ....

I have reported some of these messages to spamcop, and I get a reply that says "nothing to do".

this implies that something is going wrong in your reporting process, but without seeing data, a Tracking URL, etc. hard to guess at things from this side of the screen.

If you are patient and willing to learn, there are several people here who will help you to understand about how to administer a website - especially if you are obviously studying material available here and other places on the internet.

I don't know whether this company is your livelihood or hobby nor how you value your time. However, if you didn't know anything about automobiles, would you take your auto to a mechanic or buy a book on how automobiles work?

There are other alternatives to learning from those here on the forum: hire a webmaster or take a class at the local community college.

Of course, a few of the people here make their livings administering websites. For them, it is a little like asking your doctor questions about your health when you see him on the street. (and I don't know anything about administering websites so I can't help you - it is not because I am unwilling)

Miss Betsy

If you are patient and willing to learn, there are several people here who will help you to understand about how to administer a website - especially if you are obviously studying material available here and other places on the internet.

Thank you very much. I am glad someone mentioned the glossary, I will definately benefit from that. Other advice taken.

I have a small company and I do their website myself - but I am really stupid about the technical aspects of this. I am getting a lot of message returns, etc. in my mailbox. They all seem to have come from someone putting various letters in front of the web adress and sending it out as spam.

Also, is there something I can do to my website "mailto" address to stop this?

What you are suggesting is that your website's (or company's) e-mail is currently set up as/with a catch-all type account .. this means (as you've stated) that it will accept anything placed in front of the [at] sign .... standard suggestion is to create some special addresses and limit incoming e-mail to just those addresses .. for instance;

postmaster[at] / webmaster[at] for reporting issues with the web-site

sales[at] for questions dealing with orders

info[at] for questions about products

any address not specified would then be 'rejected' with the 'no such user' error ...

Of course, part of the problem here is dealing with your hosting account, for instance, how many addresses are allowed per hosted account ...

Another possibility is that perhaps your web-host does offer some filtering, BL, etc. access to use in managing your incoming ... Though also noting that you didn't actually mention how you are handling that e-mail yourself ... if it's being forwarded ot POP'd, there are tools you could install on your system to handle some of this .....

Thank you very much. I am glad someone mentioned the glossary, I will definately benefit from that. Other advice taken.

Yeah, that was a pointer from the unfriendly guy <g>

Archived