"Returned" e-mails?

Opossum

Just thought I'd rant about something I've encountered recently and personally haven't in the past, at all.

There has been a "new" (new to me, that is) type of spam which is forged to look like a returned e-mail (the kind you get when you send one and it doesn't reach a valid box or whatever). It will appear to come from different domains and have the exact same address as what that host would have for an actual error, and is liable to seem to come from any of the e-mail servers (including the major ones).

Usually, it is the same old spam, but every now and then, an obvious trojan. I recently saw several arrive at about the same time.

What I seriously wonder is why anyone would bother. Certainly you aren't going to be interested in something in which you were tricked to look at. Funnily enough this had happenced ONCE (and only once) with actual snail mail years ago for me.

End of rant. ;)

... What I seriously wonder is why anyone would bother. ...
I saw quite a few of those while there was a widely-distributed trojan floating around a while back. Made me wonder if I was infected. Maybe that was the "point" - a little random act of unkindness.

Archived