CDO and Received Headers

John Fenton

I have been trying for a while to get help with something in the Microsoft Newsgroups. I noticed that you have some knowledgeable people over here and was hoping maybe someone here could help me or recommend where I should go to get help.

I am writing a spam filter using ISMTPOnArrival_OnArrival and testing on an exchange server 2000 system.

There appears to be a bug in:

objMsg.Fields.Item("urn:schemas:mailheader:received").Value

The docs for it say say:

This field contains all of the Received: headers for the message, delimited by a carriage return/line feed delimiter (\r\n).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....er_received.asp

But it only returns the last server on my system. Does anyone know of a work around for this?

This is a major problem for me as I need the spammers IP address. My server is backed up by my ISP servers and a lot of my spam is coming in with the IP address of my ISP server instead of the spammers IP address. When I look at the headers of the actual message in outlook all of the received headers do

exist.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Including letting me know if there is a better place to ask this question.

Thanks

John Fenton

I have been trying for a while to get help with something in the Microsoft Newsgroups.

You don't specify just which newsgroups you're posting into .... which might be why you're not getting answers ...???? I burned out there years ago and dropped out of sight .. just before they started the MVP program naturally ....

I am writing a spam filter using ISMTPOnArrival_OnArrival and testing on an exchange server 2000 system.

There appears to be a bug in:

In all honesty, it's bee a long time since I've had to play with an exchange server, never mind the 2000 version ... However, the first thing I note when looking up your reference (and not having checked to see just when 2000 support ended?) is the 'breadcrumb' listing to the page ... MSDN Home > MSDN Library > Servers and Enterprise Development > Exchange Server > Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 > SDK Documentation > Exchange Server 2003 SDK December 2005 > Reference > Exchange Store > Exchange Store Schema > Properties by Namespace > urn:schemas:mailheader: Namespace

Massive changes between 2000 and 2003 versions .....

You might also note that SpamCop.net reporting from an Outlook Client/Exchange server has been a major problem since day one, due to the way the headers, MAPI, and MIME content are "handled" (read that as transmografied, translated, twiddled, and then lost ...) version 2003 added some different configuration settings ... I do not have the answer, but am of the opinion that you're beating your head against the wall ....

But it only returns the last server on my system. Does anyone know of a work around for this?

I have no doubt you'll have heard this one before .... grab a scrap computer, install some recent version of Linux, let that system handle the actual "internet" connection, let the Exchange server do what it was designed to do ... "internal network" distribution of e-mail ....

This is a major problem for me as I need the spammers IP address. My server is backed up by my ISP servers and a lot of my spam is coming in with the IP address of my ISP server instead of the spammers IP address. When I look at the headers of the actual message in outlook all of the received headers do exist.

Not sure of where this conversation just went .... MailWasher, SpamPal, etc. come to mind for some reason .. existing products that include a bit of analysis, handling, management, reporting, etc.

It's even possible to run SpamAssassin on a Windows machine with some additional software installed ....

if there is a better place to ask this question.

As found in the SpamCop FAQ here, have you been to Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center ???

John Fenton

I wish I knew why that name seems so familiar .....

You don't specify just which newsgroups you're posting into ....

microsoft.public.exchange.development

microsoft.public.exchange2000.development

However, the first thing I note when looking up your reference...

Try this one: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....er_received.asp

Note... without exchange server loaded Windows 2000 CDO only returns 1 received header per it's documentation.

I do not have the answer, but am of the opinion that you're beating your head against the wall ....

Feels a lot like that. :blink:

The Linux idea is not a bad one, but for various reasons not of interest at this time.

As found in the SpamCop FAQ here, have you been to Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center ???

Yes I will look there some more as well.

I wish I knew why that name seems so familiar .....

Not a clue... Wazoo doesn't ring any bells :D

Archived