Getting daily emails with no reports listed

bleduc

I am signed up as an interested 3rd party and on 5/18 I received an email report with no IP address. Then on 5/28 I started to receive emails saying our IP was reported "in the past hour". I have been getting these about once per day and they say that they are new, but they have all 0's for "Length Trap User Mole Simp". This has not happened to me before and I have been signed up for more than a year. My ISP also cannot find a copy of the spam report (no surprise since it is listing 0 for each value).

What is this telling me? Is there a problem with SpamCop or am I missing something? I am not blacklisted either, but I am concerned that this is telling me something I just don't understand.

I feel a bit like SpamCop is spamming me. :) Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or is this happening to anyone else?

I am signed up as an interested 3rd party and on 5/18 I received an email report with no IP address.

Strangely enough, that's the first thought I had when reading your post .... where's the IP address in question? What was signed up for as "an interested 3rd party" .... noting that so many folks have been asking about how to "sign up as an interested 3rd party" and the replies basically pointing out that this option disappeared ages ago ....?????

Then on 5/28 I started to receive emails saying our IP was reported "in the past hour". I have been getting these about once per day and they say that they are new, but they have all 0's for "Length Trap User Mole Simp". This has not happened to me before and I have been signed up for more than a year. My ISP also cannot find a copy of the spam report (no surprise since it is listing 0 for each value).

No one here can even hope to take a stab at any answers without knowing just what it is that's being discussed .... Trchnically, you've not even defined the "type of report" involved, short of "no IP address" included ....

I am signed up as an interested 3rd party and on 5/18 I received an email report with no IP address. Then on 5/28 I started to receive emails saying our IP was reported "in the past hour". I have been getting these about once per day and they say that they are new, but they have all 0's for "Length Trap User Mole Simp". This has not happened to me before and I have been signed up for more than a year. My ISP also cannot find a copy of the spam report (no surprise since it is listing 0 for each value).

What is this telling me? Is there a problem with SpamCop or am I missing something? I am not blacklisted either, but I am concerned that this is telling me something I just don't understand.

I feel a bit like SpamCop is spamming me. :) Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or is this happening to anyone else?

I haven't paid attention very much to this kind of complaint, but I think that I remember that server admins can choose to receive 'mole' reports. These reports are not counted in the spamcop bl nor are any individual reports sent. The aggregate reports are sent at certain intervals. Since I am not a server admin, I have no idea what a server admin would do with these reports. And IIRC, the post that discussed these reports, was another admin who found them annoying and wanted to know how to stop them.

This is the discussion that I think I remember: Aggregate reports

from that topic:

For example, in my ISP account the "routes" for my new IP's say

"Third party interested in daily aggregate summary reports"

but my old ip's say

"Third party interested in all reports"

Since too many spammers were signing up as 'Third Parties' the rules were changed and it is harder to sign up now. My guess is that somehow those new rules are now affecting anyone who was signed up as a Third Party.

I didn't see any resolution in the referenced topic so my advice is to contact the official Spamcop deputies and find out why. It may only be a way to get the old TP's to register under the new rules. I would contact them using this web form report webform (not that I am sure it is the right one).

If you would come back and post about why it happened, it might help someone else in your situation.

Miss Betsy

I haven't paid attention very much to this kind of complaint, but I think that I remember that server admins can choose to receive 'mole' reports.

And to stop the outcry, alarms, complaints, and general wailing .. this statement is NOT true.

Mole reports do not leave the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting systems at all. That's what Mole Reporting mode is all about ... no reports are sent anywhere "off the reservation" ......

Yes, the "count" will show up in the "aggegrate" .....

I'm not allowed to comment on some of the other statements made beyond pointing out that this is a user-to-user support Forum .. and that the last publicly released data on Mole Reporting status is found at Mole Reporting is Back, Kind of (?)

And to stop the outcry, alarms, complaints, and general wailing .. this statement is NOT true.

Mole reports do not leave the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting systems at all. That's what Mole Reporting mode is all about ... no reports are sent anywhere "off the reservation" ......

Yes, the "count" will show up in the "aggegrate" .....

I'm not allowed to comment on some of the other statements made beyond pointing out that this is a user-to-user support Forum .. and that the last publicly released data on Mole Reporting status is found at Mole Reporting is Back, Kind of (?)

Thank you for pointing out that there are no 'mole' reports. The aggregate reports are the count of reports made. Sorry I wasn't clear about that (though I did mention that there were no individual reports).

And the rest of the post was just guesses. I have no idea why the poster is now receiving reports that make no sense to him. Obviously some server admins like to receive the aggregate reports, but I don't know why. I also don't know why both posters didn't start getting the aggregate reports at the same time. And the fact that the reports seemed to be 'empty' either means a bug or a change in policy which could also be because those server admins who like to receive the aggregate reports wanted to receive them even if there was no count.

Basically, I was trying to convey the idea that there was no intent on the part of spamcop to send reports to people who do not want them. There are options so that any server admin can refuse to receive some, or all, spamcop reports. Not being a server admin, I don't know what kind of reports they can get or whether it is good idea to limit them.

I am aware that 'Third Party' reports have been used by spammers and that the rules have been tightened up considerably so that, as Wazoo says, it is essentially not an option any more. Apparently, there are some still around.

Miss Betsy

Archived