A question about a nasty pop up prob

the dude

Hi, how are ya?

Thanks for taking the time.

Recently I had a problem with a pop ups like I never had before, someone I know sent me a link to a horoscope web site www.clicksping.net (DON'T GO THERE). I've had broadband for a couple of year now and I've never seen anything like this before. The pop ups would come about every 3-5 minutes if I was not online I couldn't do anything for about a day and I tried about 7 different pop up blockers and nothing worked. So I finally got the solution from google and suffice to say the problem is no more. However I was so pissed off about it that I had to try to find out who was doing it. Anyways I got URL of the pics in the From one of the pop up add windows and sure enough the domain name was www.clickspring.net/virgo/jimmysurf it looks like a directory where the pics for the pop ups are stored.

So when I ran a trace route and checked the IP address out I came up with a complete bunch of company info complete with address, phone #'s, and names of proprieters abuse email addresses (which I tried several times but never got a response from). I pretty sure this is the right company clickspring is part of the company name.

Where can I go from here? Is this info accurate (used WHOIS)?

If the whos data is correct, you can keep knocking their doors, if you want. If you think you've got something bad, you can go the their ISP / upstream connection.

But, in all fairness, I'm going to tell you that you probably won't get very far with the complaint / subject you've brought up thus far. I did a "safe" browse of the home page (noting you mis-spelled it the first time you typed it in) .. I'm not going to waste time on any of the other sub-pages ... The base pages starts out with;

<head>

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe GoLive 4">

<title>clickspring</title>

<!-- FASTCLICK.COM POP-UNDER CODE v1.7e for clickspring.net -->

<scri_pt language="java scri_pt"><!--

var doc=document; var url=escape(doc.location.href); ....

At best, all you're likely to hear from this type of outfit is that you "should have been wearing protection" before visiting their site. Look into adding some protection from something like the Google toolbar, which has a pop-up blocker.. Further steps would be the anti-scumware tools od AdAware and SpyBot - Search & Destroy (update the database on both of these before you actually run the utilities).

Archived