incorrect sender using assp

philhu

My company uses assp-spam. A free spam fighting system.

What it does is take over port 25, and relay messages through our sendmail system after determining the spam content, etc.

Works very well, but, when I have spamcop analyze a message, it thinks the spam came from the server that rcvd it, since it relays through itself to read the message.

The FROM headers for path actually show 2 from lines, one for the assp relay and one from the original path, etc.

Any ideas? As they come out now, I cannot report these or I'll get myself reported!

My company uses assp-spam.  A free spam fighting system.

What it does is take over port 25, and relay messages through our sendmail system after determining the spam content, etc.

Works very well, but, when I have spamcop analyze a message, it thinks the spam came from the server that rcvd it, since it relays through itself to read the message.

The FROM headers for path actually show 2 from lines, one for the assp relay and one from the original path, etc.

Any ideas?  As they come out now, I cannot report these or I'll get myself reported!

Unless your not configured properly it should work.

the first received line would be something like

Received: from your.mailserver.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] by your.mailserver.com ....

The second received line would the follow the chain like this:

Received: from someother.mailserver.com ([nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]) by your.mailserver.com .........

As long as the name is a fully qualified name and matches in both lines (your.mailserver.com) and point to the same IP the chain should work.

If I am wrong someone else will let me know :-)

Send a complete set of headers from some spam that you received copy/pasted into an email to deputies[at]spamcop.net with the problem that you are seeing and we will take a look at it and see if we can make a system adjustment to accept and correctly parse the headers ....

• 1 year later...

My company uses assp-spam.  A free spam fighting system.

Any ideas?  As they come out now, I cannot report these or I'll get myself reported!

3957[/snapback]

You should put a full qualified name into the box "My Name - What the program calls itself in the email "received by" header. Usually ASSP-nospam." I put assp01.vnet.de into said box and made a DNS record for it. By that, the HELO will be also ok.

Received: from assp01.vnet.de (127.0.0.1) by gate01.vnet.de with SMTP

(Eudora Internet Mail Server X 3.2.7) for <assp-spamcopy[at]talkau.com>;

Wed, 1 Mar 2006 23:04:47 +0100

Received: from 201.34.213.125 ([201.34.213.125] helo=201-34-213-125.gnace703.dsl.brasiltelecom.net.br)

by assp01.vnet.de; 1 Mar 2006 23:04:42 +0100

Archived