Legal proof Robert Soloway buys email addresses from hackers?

Thenotsowyzewun

Hi,

This in reference to my thread over [at] Minidisc Forums, here <snip URL to Minidisc thread>.

Minidisc forums have been hacked into repeatedly <snip URL to Minidisc thread> in recent months.

Not only have user's computers been turned into spam delivering zombies as part of the attack, but I now know they stole all the forum user's email addresses too - as I say in my thread there, my email address has never been publicly displayed, yet since these break-ins I am receiving spam to an address only ever used for the purpose of registering on that one particular site.

Having looked around trying to catch the culprit, google eventually shone a light on Robert Soloway.

So, I wonder if this is at last proof that he works with, or indeed is, a hacker who breaks into sites with the dual purposes of getting new zombie machines to help distribute his mail (he uses Dark Mailer according to Wikipedia, which can use a network of zombie computers for bulk email delivery) and also to obtain new email addresses to spam.

Sorry for posting in what is likely the wrong category btw, but you didn't seem to have a more relevant category, and I couldn't find a more relevant forum to post this on.

Moderator's note: edited the original version in "SpamCop Lounge" forum and replaced the links to the Minidisc forums to "<snip URL to Minidisc thread>" to avoid the uninitiated from getting her/himself hacked.

Hi,

This in reference to my thread over [at] Minidisc Forums, here <snip URL to Minidisc thread>.

Minidisc forums have been hacked into repeatedly <snip URL to Minidisc thread> in recent months.

Hi, Thenotsowyzewun,

...Assuming you are correct that the "Minidisc forums have been hacked into," which I have no reason to doubt, I don't think it's wise to offer the URL to the Minidisc forums in public view, so I'm going to copy your original post into an area that's not generally accessible and edit out the URLs to Minidisc.

...If you disagree, please let me know either via PM or a reply to this thread and I (or another Moderator or the Forum Admin) will consider it. Thanks!

<snip>

Sorry for posting in what is likely the wrong category btw, but you didn't seem to have a more relevant category, and I couldn't find a more relevant forum to post this on.

...If you posted into the Forum it is now, "SpamCop Lounge," then (in my opinion) you chose exactly the right one! :) <g>

Thank you, Steve, for moving this to the proper forum! Since the other forums are all concerned with spamcop, this is the forum to post in. It is a question about spam and spammers and the people here might be able to offer some opinions.

Since none of us are lawyers, I don't know whether you will get any good answers. It certainly sounds as though you have proof, but whether it is feasible to follow a legal solution is probably due to legal precedents, etc. Also, a lot of times it is too expensive for individuals to pursue legal recourse.

At least, there may be lawyers reading this forum, but I don't know who they are.

Miss Betsy

Thank you, Steve, for moving this to the proper forum!

<snip>

...Thanks for the kind words, Miss Betsy, but I can't take the credit -- I found this post in this forum. Can't say for sure but seeing as how there's no pointer or note anywhere I can see from a Moderator indicating this post was moved, I'm presuming the OP selected the correct Forum! :) <g>

I moved it .... would have sworn that I'd added a Moderator edit note to it .... but then again, I've moved several posts today .. maybe screwed up again ...

As posted elsewhere, the exploit discussed in that Forum has never been successfully deployed "here" ... but based in traffic in the IPB forums, it is a very common problem.

On the other hand, the issue of the "newly received spam" I have to agree with. I have had one person PM me about that issue, and in my reply, I stated that I was going with that I was getting it based on my account being the one tapped in the last hack. But seeing that the subject lines of complaints in the referenced forum match what I'm getting, pretty hard to argue against that it all seems to be connected. I just received 7 of these, one directly addressed, the others the result of a BCC:, all from different zombies, from all around the world, all just a 'little bit' different .....

Archived