Delisting 80.93.143.50

digiusto

Hi to All,

I'm the TLC Mamager of Italian ISP (Welcome Italia SpA). Our smtp (80.93.143.50) is listing, the 3 time on this week, in spamcop. We don't understand why the smtp is listed? Someone can help us for delist the server and not have problem in the future?

Tanks.

Nicola

Well, looking up that IP address in the blocklist here gives the following results:

80.93.143.50 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 14 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

It appears this listing is caused by misdirected bounces. We have a FAQ which covers this topic: Why auto-responses are bad (Misdirected bounces). Please read this FAQ and heed the advice contained in it.

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

System administrator has already delisted this system once

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

Listing History

In the past 66.1 days, it has been listed 4 times for a total of 4.1 days

The key part here is the Causes of listing section which states emails have hit SpamCop spam traps. Further, indication is given that these hits may be misdirected bounces.

What do you do with email when it is sent to a user that does not exist, or to a user whose mailbox is full? If you are accepting it, and then generating an NDR to the (almost always forged) envelope sender, then that is your problem. You should be rejecting the email during the SMTP transaction with a 500 series SMTP error.

While the former method (accept and bounce) is technically RFC compliant, these misdirected bounces have become nearly as much of a problem as the spam itself. I myself have received as many as 1000 misdirected bounces in a single day when a spammer decided to use my email address as the From address on a spam run.

Turning off these post-SMTP bounces should correct your problem. Once the bounces stop, the IP address will automatically be delisted within at most 24 hours.

Hi to All,

I'm the TLC Mamager of Italian ISP (Welcome Italia SpA). Our smtp (80.93.143.50) is listing, the 3 time on this week, in spamcop. We don't understand why the smtp is listed? Someone can help us for delist the server and not have problem in the future?

Tanks.

Nicola

The only available human report looks like a misdirected bounce to my English only eyes with a subject: Impossibile consegnare: Meds Online Worldwide

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:20:46 AM -0400:

Impossibile consegnare: Meds Online Worldwide

Archived