I think I'm getting Joe Jobbed

small-site-guy

Someone is using my domain name and sending out 1000s of emails (maybe 10s of thousands or more) with a word doc attached asking people to buy software from some URL: temnieprogiDOTcom

I did a samspade.org search of temnieprogiDOTcom and get DNS servers in Siberia?!

I know this because I'm getting LOTS of returned mail and out of office emails.

I know when monday comes there are going to be alot of people mad at me...my host suggested turning SPF on...but I'm not sure this helps.

Any ideas from the experts?

I know when monday comes there are going to be alot of people mad at me...my host suggested turning SPF on...but I'm not sure this helps.

First of all, nobody who understands how email works will be blaming you. It is likely your domain is simply being forged as the sender and you are getting bounces from systems that bounce to that forged address. These bounces are currently reportable through spamcop because it is such an issue.

Second, this has become so common, the definition of Joe Job is usually no longer applied to this type of activity. http://forum.spamcop.net/dict/Joe_Job.html

thanks for the response! I'm a noob at this stuff...

For the record, I did fully read the 'posting faq' and searched for 'joe job' prior to posting, but got no results.

My host has been ok about it so far and I'll fend off the occassional angry email...

I got the term from a friend who saw my inbox - he also suggested this site.

if it gets worse, would there be anything I should do here?

Archived