No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Dee

Apologies if this has been raised before - I have supposedly looked.

My emails arrive via Outlook Express and I have always sent the complete message as an attachment to spam Cop which has always been able to establish the source of the mail.

In the last week or so, everything has been "rejected" as "No source IP address found, cannot proceed". If, however, I open the original email, go through the properties and message source procedure then copy and paste the whole lot into the submission box, the system can establish the IP address and I can report the spam as normal.

Is anyone aware of any changes that I have overlooked - I am definitely no expert when it comes to the intricacies of computers, or am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Dee

I am not technically fluent either, but I would bet that someone will ask you if you have mailhosts configured yet?

Mailhosts configuration is done by spamcop to determine what header lines belong to your email so that the possibility of reporting your own ISP is lessened. If you have configured mailhosts, then possibly it could be that your ISP has added a relay or something (remember I am not an expert) and that is confusing the parser. I don't know why it would get confused submitting by email and not the other so it may be something else entirely.

The problem is that, for some reason, the parser is stopping before it gets to the source when you email it, but keeps on going when you submit via the web form. Someone is also bound to ask you for a Tracking URL for an emailed one and one submitted by the web form (with Technical Details turned on). How to find Tracking URLs and Technical Details are both in the FAQ.

Miss Betsy

... Is anyone aware of any changes that I have overlooked ...
Not specifically, I'm afraid. It might help eliminate some guesswork if you could provide a tracking URL for the report of one you've pasted in but which has failed when you emailed it (in the latter case there being no report to link to IIRC).

Thank you for your prompt replies.

I did mention I'm a bit dim didn't I? Is the tracking URL just the line containing www.spamcop followed by loads of numbers and letters (immediately before "skip to reports") you see when you click on the link in the email you receive following referral of the latest piece of rubbish you've received? Or is it that, plus about 20 lines of stuff ending in a long validation number immediately prior to "view entire message"? :blink:

Apologies if this has been raised before - I have supposedly looked.

??? From appearances, you've not attempted to wade through the SpamCop FAQ here or the How To Use ... forum section ....

My emails arrive via Outlook Express and I have always sent the complete message as an attachment

It would start here .... please explain your "as an attachment" methodology. Most instructions and guidelines use the phrase "forward as an attachment" .. but your description could be taken as meaning you perform some other manipulations to get the incoming e-mail to show up as an attachment on your outgoing e-mail ....

I open the original email, go through the properties and message source procedure then copy and paste the whole lot into the submission box, the system can establish the IP address and I can report the spam as normal.

This obviously indicates that something is going wrong in your attempt to "submut the spam as an attachment" process. As above, the actual description of your process is requested.

Is the tracking URL just the line containing ......

Also as above, hitting the SpamCop FAQ would have allowed one to also follow the links to the Glossary and / or the Dictionary here to look up some of those nasty technical terms ..... the fact that it is descroibed on the parse page as "Here's your Tracking URL" and that it matches the exact URL of that parse page is purely coincidence ....

When I select the "submit"section of Forward your spam to: submit.zd........... it brings up Outlook Express. Selecting "Insert" allows me to attach the unwanted email that I have already saved in My Documents and I can send the whole lot off to spam Cop. This may or may not be forwarding an attachment, but it has worked without fail for almost 12 months. Now every single reference results in a rejection because of an ability to to trace the IP address and I have to "open up the email before pasting all the details in the box.

I thought it said somewhere on here that no question was considered too dumb, so sorry Wazoo, but if I'd been able to sort this out myself or understand some of the nasty technical terms then I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

When I select the "submit"section of Forward your spam to: submit.zd........... it brings up Outlook Express. Selecting "Insert" allows me to attach the unwanted email that I have already saved in My Documents

No, this is not "Forward as Attachment" under Outlook Express. However, this is more than likely where your 'problem' exists.

and I can send the whole lot off to spam Cop. This may or may not be forwarding an attachment, but it has worked without fail for almost 12 months. Now every single reference results in a rejection because of an ability to to trace the IP address and I have to "open up the email before pasting all the details in the box.

And the answer to your question then .. nothing has changed on the Parsing & Reporting side in the "last few weeks" that would have singled you out .... if any changes occirred, they were on your end.

I thought it said somewhere on here that no question was considered too dumb, so sorry Wazoo, but if I'd been able to sort this out myself or understand some of the nasty technical terms then I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place.

Well, again, you have made it clear that you srill have not looked at any of the "Help" that a number of folks worked long and hard to put into place .... FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions .... You needn't have to "figure it out for youeself" .. start with the answers already existing in the SpamCop FAQ here (links at the top of this very page) .... or navigate yourseld into the How to Use .... SpamCop Reporting Forum section and take a look there for somr tutorials, walk-throughs, explanations ... and yet again, there is a Glossary and a Dictionary provided here for those technicasl terms.

Why the hell you're venting on me after I already provided you with clues on where to look for some existing answers, details, and definitions ... asking for sufficient details such that your question has a chance of being answered is beyond me. If there were hundreds of folks saying that "something has changed" over the last few weeks, there'd be something very ovbious about it. That hasn't happened, you are the only one with an issue as you descibed it. Now that you've explained that you are "manipulating" the heck out of youe spam in your reporting process (and having admitted that a straight copy/paste works just fine) ..... I'm still repeating what I said previously .... there is something wrong in "your" reporting process. Reporting issues and the use of Outlook Express is very well documented under the "Frequently Asked Questions" list, a number of How to .... entries exist ....

No one said anything about a "Stupid question" .. but if you are too lazy to scroll around on the page, make a mouse-click or two .... that's another issue ....

Is the tracking URL just the line containing www.spamcop followed by loads of numbers and letters (immediately before "skip to reports") you see when you click on the link in the email you receive following referral of the latest piece of rubbish you've received?

Yes, it is. The Tracking URL is at the top of the page when you're trying to process a spam, and it looks like this:

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z10xxxblahblahblah

The Tracking URL will allow the volunteers to see exactly what's happening when you run into the problem, and it will allow me to identify your user account so I can check the account details.

If you've been successfully reporting spam for a year and suddenly now it doesn't work, it means something has changed. It could be any number of things. I need to see a Tracking URL so I can pinpoint the problem.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Thank you Don

This is the tracking URL for one item

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1029158548z8...3037d3d7b480b0z.

As well as being a bit unsure of exactly how much detail I needed to show here, I was wary of posting something that is either unwise or isn't allowed. I have retained the original rejection slip, so if you wish, I can copy the detail included in between the skip to reports and view entire message section.

One possible reason I thought of was that I have Norton Internet Security which includes an anti spam feature. Perhaps some automatic update to that is somehow tinkering with emails I receive, making the addresses unreadable by SpamCop unless fully revealed before submission.

Sorry that you couldn't find what a Tracking URL was. I just didn't have time to look it up for you and copy (or try to remember the exact wording so that you would not get confused). Wazoo is also very busy and also believes that the best way to learn is to look things up. Like you, I often have a difficult time finding things in FAQs so I don't assume that someone is lazy because they can't find it. However, since I am not technically fluent, I don't like to retype instructions.

How to forward as attachment in OE (the way I do it - there is another way): right click on the highlighted spam, choose 'forward as attachment' you can highlight several and send them as a bunch, however there is a limit on the MB you can send - again I don't have time to look it up - so about 10 usually works).

The tracking url is best to look at because if you copy, it sometimes changes spaces and things which make a difference.

I am not even going to look at the spam because although I can read simple headers, I can't troubleshoot.

You might need a Tracking URL for one that you send via the web form.

The main things you do not want to show here is your email address and your submit address for spamcop. You do not need to show the spam either since once there is a Tracking URL everything can be seen that is necessary.

Miss Betsy

Thanks for that Miss Betsy and for the tip - it's nice to learn something new. Your way of forwarding emails is so much simpler. It saves having a line of little envelopes in My Documents, then trying to remember which you've reported and which are still waiting in the queue1

Since joining spam Cop, I've at least learned to recognise the number used to identify the pests who clutter up our inboxes, but would never have the confidence or sufficient knowledge to try to report the senders myself, so it's well worth the $15 or whatever it cost.

One possible reason I thought of was that I have Norton Internet Security which includes an anti spam feature. Perhaps some automatic update to that is somehow tinkering with emails I receive, making the addresses unreadable by SpamCop unless fully revealed before submission.

Previous issue from others using the big Norton tool came from the "Privacy Protection" setting .... it chose to mung various data strings, to include the Submit: address for one person .... just not sure how that would feed into "IP address not found"

Another recent Topic that included some bad results that also included NAS can be seen at Linear Post #13 in the Discussion at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6821 .. although noting that your Tracking URL does not show this same issue. Then again, ..... is it possible that the NAS 'issue' is die to some sort of 'processing' on your outgoing e-mail?

In contrast to Miss Betsy's attempt at soothing things over .. the Glossary is in alphabetical order, the Dictionary has a "select by letter" menu, and the How to use ... Forum section has mostly self-explained Subject/Title lines ....

Don was on-line when I checked, your provided Tracking URL was available, I"m going to assume that he's looking at your report history to pull up some clue for you.

I have received confirmation that some of the material I’ve forwarded has incomplete headers.

I have since referred mail using the “Forward as attachment” method described by Miss Betsy and in most cases, the documents are still being rejected. In those cases, copying and pasting everything revealed in the Message Source box seems to allow me to report the spam. This seems to be the best way of submitting reports in the future. Thanks to those who offered practical advice.

Archived