Receiving Blank Emails from Self!

NCFC7

First, let me say that if I am in the wrong place, I apologize. I am having an issue with my email account from my ISP.

Last week, I started receiving email from my OWN email address! The topic and body are both blank. I contacted my ISP about this and they looked in the properties section of one of these, and told me it looks like spam.

After receiving several more of these, I started looking into the properties section of the rest of these. I cannot find a common link to any of these, and am now coming here for help.

Is there anyone here who could help me in stopping this? I have run many virus scans and other programs aimed at discovering things like this and have come up empty. My ISP did pull an IP address from one of these, ran it through dnsstuff, which came up with 3 hits, 1 of which was in SpamCop as being blocked.

What next?

First, let me say that if I am in the wrong place, I apologize. I am having an issue with my email account from my ISP.

Correct ... this has nothing to do with a SpamCOp.net e-mail account.

And as it appears you haven't a clue on using the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system, this is being moved to the Lounge area.

The "blank" issue requires much more definition than you've provided, unfortunately because there are so many 'bad' definitions of just what "blank" means ....

You receiving these e-mails probably boils down to the simple description of "forged From: and/or Reply-To:" lines .... much too common, but .... spammers are scum ...

What is meant by blank is: To: none, Subject: (No Subject), and the 'body' where you would type a message contains no characters. Should I post a copy of what is shown in the property box (Each one of these that I receive is different)? If I do post the contents, is there information in there that I should block out to avoid exposing any of my own information? All I want to do is stop it, and report it to get it stopped. Can someone lead me in the right direction? I have never experienced this before, and have been online for over 15 years. I am just looking for some help, and to find out what steps to take.

Thanks

A bit confused with all the "no content" sections listed, but then "they are all different" ...????

Posting of spam here is not a really appreciated, especially as the result is so far from sarisfactory in most cases .. problems in the copying/pasting, problems in the way this application handles whitespace .. what is recommended is the Tracking URL of a parse of the sumitted spam to the SpamCop.net Parsing and Reporting system ... However, as you've apparently not looked at signing up yet for a free reporting account, and if this spam example really is "blank" then we'd have to veer the discussion off to "why you can't report" ... so ...

If you are going to post, first of all ... read the Pinned item .. [How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers) .... next possible 'read this first' item would be OE6 Secure handling of e-mail ... identify your tools ... then post if you must ....

What to hide? .. from your description, your e-mail address must be hiding in the BCC: line, which typically isn't shown on your end ... so not sure what else would actually be available, again, based on your "no content anywhere" description.

Just for informational purposes .. this may be a bit of a troll .... user registered with an optonline.net address.

OK, this turns out not to be the Domain that I was thinking of .... Optimum Online appears to be a cable provider ....

Forget it. All I wanted was to find out was if I reported what I got would be a legitimate submission. Yes, Optonline.net is a cable provider and a legitimate outfit as far as I know. I am not "Trolling" for anything, I am just trying to LEARN how to prevent something that I find annoying, and that my provider tells me is spam. I am not trying to cause a controversy on your boards.

What I said was the 'body' of the messages are blank, but, if you click on the "properties" section of the right click drop down list, there is lots of 'code' that shows different senders in the "Received from:" area of the properties.

I'll take my questions elsewhere, where people are more helpful.

Thanks again...

There are lots of posts about blank/no content e-mails in this forum. We all get them and we get them from spammers, daily. So consider yourself lucky you have only started to recieve these recently. As for reporting, a bit of study should lead you in the right direction. Spamcop allows reporting such spam with a note <no body> typed bellow the header information. However since these type of spam as a rule come from irresponsible ISPs in China or Korea it is unlikely that simply reporting will stop the flow.

If your mail reader provides any kind of filtering, you could always blacklist mail from your own email address, unless there is some reason you would ever be sending yourself email. That should take care of all emails that appear to be coming from yourself.

As others have stated, the blank emails from yourself are not all that uncommon, and I have taken the action I suggested above to prevent them myself, as I never would send email from one of my email addresses to that same address.

What mail program are you using? You might also talk to your ISP and see if they offer any anti-spam tools to help prevent unwanted email.

Archived