Bouncing Yahoo Groups and my Web Host

Solar

I know there's a 14 page thread regarding the happy relationship between Yahoo and Spamcop, but do forgive me if I haven't read all of it...

So my web host (which is also my email provider) uses the Spamcop BL, and this is causing legitimate mail from Yahoo groups to bounce. Tech support basically said there was nothing much they could do, since the problem is with Yahoo's ip being blacklisted.

Upon further research, I found the following info from this forum and conveyed it to my web host...

Quote:

"But even if a given IP gets added to the SCBL in error, or unfairly, SpamCop isn't doing any blocking. It's the many ISPs who choose to use the SCBL listings as red flags and who configure their mail servers to outright reject any traffic from listed IPs that are going a bit overboard, IMO. They should be using the BL as a way to "tag" possible spam, perhaps putting it into a temporary holding area that's accessible to the end user for review and processing. They should be offering the end user the ability to "whitelist" not just the individual "From" or source IP addresses, but entire systems, such as "returns.groups.yahoo.com" found in the headers, which is what SpamCop does for its email customers."

...to which my web host's tech support replied:

"I tried to find a setting to do this, but there isn't any at this time for exim under Cpanel with their setup. So it is just simple block with bounce message, which in our case is very effective since it also reduces the bandwidth usage by not accepting emails when checking the IP of where it came from."

So my question is, is there anything else I can suggest my web host do, before I go looking for another provider? Thank you.

Solar

First off, any one else jumping into this Topic with an issue about Yahoo(group) server blocking, be advised that the response will be the extraction of that post with subsequent mergimg into the most recent massive Yahoo(Group) server blocked discussion. This query and resulting discussion is targetted to the specific situation of "how to whitelist an address on an exim server" ....

That your host is talking about the use of cpanel suggests that they don't have "direct" control of that e-mail server ..... it sounds like they would need to "go upstream" themselves and ask for help .....

That said, there are some folks that have volunteered some server configuration suggestions within this Forum structure ... when I get caught up, I'll try to do the same research / search you could have done yourself and see if I can come up with some exim server data .....

In the interim, the general suggestion is to either check the Yahoo e-mail server itself, send/POP it to yet another account, or go find/install another tool to pull it directly in another fashion ..... and of course, the obligatory mention of the fact that a SpamCop.net e-mail account currently does handle Yahoo accounts among its other features .....

Hi, Solar!

<snip>

"I tried to find a setting to do this, but there isn't any at this time for exim under Cpanel with their setup. So it is just simple block with bounce message, which in our case is very effective since it also reduces the bandwidth usage by not accepting emails when checking the IP of where it came from."

<snip>

...You could refer them to http://www.exim.org/howto/rbl.html. I'm not sure how CPanel enters into the equation because it isn't mentioned there but perhaps something there will light a bulb.

...If not, perhaps you could ask your ISP about "whitelisting." As I understand it, that's a feature of some e-mail software that enabled end-users to set up a list of e-mail addresses (in this case, the e-mail addresses from which your Yahoo!Groups messages come) so that the blacklist logic is not applied to them. If I remember correctly, though, Yahoo!Groups messages come from all sorts of different e-mail addresses, so that may not be feasible even if your ISP folks are willing to consider it.

...Another possibility is to surf the Yahoo!Groups messages via the web rather than receiving them via e-mail. In fact, this is how I read messages in all the Yahoo!Groups to which I subscribe.

...If all else fails, say "goodbye" to your ISP next time your contract with them is up for renewal and move your business to an ISP that offers the features you want.

...Good luck!

Archived