Damn it. yesterday viruses, today spam cop

cfmsoft

Damn it!

Yesterday I was overflown with viruses. Today the guys at my provider have managed to fix them. Today I cannot send email to my family abroad because of the stupid spam cop.

The listed address, 212.55.154.21, is relay1.ptmail.sapo.pt wich is 'just' the largest isp in Portugal. There are milions of people hanging here to the other end of the line. Please someone remove this damn list?

If it only takes a day with viruses to block out most of a country this damn list should be trashed.

To start with, it's your family's ISP that's using the SpamCop "list" to keep the crap out of their users' InBoxes. There's always another way, if you need to keep up communications .. for instance, get a HotMail account (run an even bigger company than your largest ISP there) and give that a shot. There may be the possibility that your "family" could ask their ISP to whitelist you, though as this ISP made the BL for spamtrap hits (and your self-described virus problems) I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

If the situation you describe is valid, then at worst, your ISP will only be listed for 48 hours maximum, probably even less ... again, if your story is valid. Though looking up the IP you offered shows several other IPs "in the vicinity" .. it may be that if you re-try to send something, your e-mail may make a different route, end up going through another server that may not be on the BL (going with your "large ISP" description .. but I've no knowledge on your ISP's configuration.

From your description, most would say that if it took a whole day to get into the BL, that was much too long, based on how many others must have been "overflown" with virii coming from that server. The logic behind the SpamCop tool is for a quick reaction capability in hopes of stopping the spew before too much gets out.

Again, the BL isn't designed to block countries, domains, specific users .. it lists the IP addresses of spam spew sources. You might also raise your anger against your own ISP for allowing this to happen to begin with. Just a thought.

Hi, cmfsoft!

Damn it!

Yesterday I was overflown with viruses. Today the guys at my provider have managed to fix them. Today I cannot send email to my family abroad because of the stupid spam cop.

The listed address, 212.55.154.21, is relay1.ptmail.sapo.pt wich is 'just' the largest isp in Portugal. There are milions of people hanging here to the other end of the line. Please someone remove this damn list?

If it only takes a day with viruses to block out most of a country this damn list should be trashed.

...Before you condemn, it might be of some value to become more familiar with what SpamCop.net does. Some links to help you with that:

Each is designed for a slightly different type of user, so not everything will be relevant to you.

...If you still have questions after reading these, please to come back here for follow-up questions.

Yes, I understood how the list works.

On Tuesday I received a lot of viruses/mail worms coming from faked addresses but I could trace them by the headers and see they had come from inside my own ISP.

At the same time I could not send any mail. I phoned the support and they told me they had to take down the servers because they detected massive mail sending trough them. As the servers need autentication with username and password and are nor open relays of course, the worm must steal the users account in order to connect.

I presume that, just presume you see, the worm hit some test addresses or some other servers which passed over a certain limit of messages reported it.

Althoug I hate spam, I think that blocking ISPs in emergency situations like this is as bad as spam. Of course you cannot verify the situation. I might be telling a bunch of lies.

I think the mechanism of these lists must be modified to provide a better service, because viruses and email worms should be blocked by virus scanning on the servers and not this type of lists.

Just my twopence.

Thanks.

Well, spamcop agrees with you.

The problem is that spamtraps report automatically. If there are a lot of viruses, then some people will have "automatic" bounces advising of a virus which naturally go to the forged addresses (some of which can be spamtraps).

<an aside>

Some people, not spamcop, feel that these kinds of bounces are just as annoying as spam and *ought* to be blocked. <end an aside>

Please ask your ISP to contact spamcop directly and a deputy can confirm that that is what the spamtraps are receiving and delist them.

Miss Betsy

Yes, I understand, but I still have a problem...

BTW, I have stopped using hotmail because I got tired of the spam. Now I suppose my hotmail mailbox is either full and not accepting more mail or has been deleted altogether.

I have sent a message to the administrators of my provider but I am still waiting...probably sleeping... nothing like a phone call to liven up things!

And also, I have an alias set up at sourceforge, an alias you see - cannot send mail, and I am receiving dozens of replies to mails I didn't send (couldn't even if I wanted) trough that alias! So I see the point of not wanting to receive those replies too.

You can set up a new hotmail account in minutes. BTW, hotmail has done something to reduce the spam greatly. And if you use an alphanumeric address (cfm2s05t) the dictionary spammers won't pick it up. There have been several posts from people who have done just that and have not received any spam on hotmail (though they have not used that address anywhere either to order merchanise).

If you know the IP address, you can contact the deputies at admin.spamcop.net yourself explaining the situation.

Miss Betsy

Archived