Recommended SMTP providers?

Alex Bischoff

I've been a SpamCop user for several years now and I've always just used an SMTP server on my local box. However, I've found that some recipients' ISPs are blocking incoming mail from ip addresses which don't resolve to a domain (which would include me, since I'm on a cable modem).

So, to avoid that, I'm looking into an SMTP provider. Sure, I could use my ISP's SMTP server, but I travel and I need SMTP service for that as well. I've seen JeffG's SMTP-Auth Provider Status Report and I think that's a good starting point. However, after eliminating the ones with "reliability problems" and those that aren't accepting new accounts, there aren't many left :(.

DynDNS's MailHop Outbound seems to fit the bill and $14.95 is fairly reasonable. Has anyone tried that one? And are there any others that I should consider as well?

I don't have the time to see if it was you asked the same question in the spamcop.geeks news group (or if it was the same question instead of a similar one).

If it wasn't, that thread might have information or people there might help. I don't know about things like that.

Miss Betsy

I've found that some recipients' ISPs are blocking incoming mail from ip addresses which don't resolve to a domain (which would include me, since I'm on a cable modem).

It is quite likely that your I.P. address does resolve to a domain name. Have you looked it up? It may not match the one that you have for your domain, but as long as your mail server uses it, it will pass the rDNS check at the receiver.

If your I.P. address is DHCP assigned though, do not expect people to accept e-mail for it. Most mail server operators that I know will not accept e-mail from known DHCP providers. Some ISPs even consider the fixed addresses they assigned to be dynamic.

My ISP has a web mail system that allows me to pick up my e-mail from anywhere should I choose to use that.

If you read that thread in spamcop.geeks you should have found the URL of a provider that I know of, but again, I do not know the rates, get any commision or other for the recomendations, and do not know how suitable it is for what you want.

-John

Personal Opinion Only

Archived