Port 25 blocked but still complaints

Posted (edited)

Hello, 

We are an ISP, and blocked port 25 for clients but still receiving complaints from spamcop. Why this is happening because the IP in case can't send mail using port 25. Or you track other ports ? which one ?

Regards

Edited by Alin

25 minutes ago, Alin said:

Hello, 

We are an ISP, and blocked port 25 for clients but still receiving complaints from spamcop. Why this is happening because the IP in case can't send mail using port 25. Or you track other ports ? which one ?

Regards

SpamCop does not check if port 25 is blocked or not

Just blocks IP's that send a high quote of spam
need a IP to see example
https://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock&ip=23.26.60.155

How can someone send spam if can't use port 25 ? SSL 465 - that is secure and can't be used for spam.

Because we are an ISP, we can't close a client contract - this is blocking an ip for a client (corporate or not) without telling him what is doing and the real and legal reason why his public services contract is terminated, and in this case that IP is not sending mass mails from it. 

You are saying is sending spam, but he can't send mails directly - so again, what to block/fix ? Your fast solution is to kill - that is not a solution for this years we are living. We should have solutions to fix not to kill.

I understand no one can tell exactly what is it to protect the source, but what should not be used then.. ports or whatever? I add that it can also be unintentional. I don't want lawsuits because I closed a contract without a proven reason, I want everyone to have problem-free services, and I could limit or block the problem if I knew what to limit/block for those with problems.

Regards,

Alin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alin said:

How can someone send spam if can't use port 25 ? SSL 465 - that is secure and can't be used for spam.

You read the spam complaint?
spam can be sent through a normal email server.
By the way spam means unsolicited email
Was the message non-subscribed, did it have a working unsubscribe, 
Was the computer it was sent from a zombie (malware implant)
Was this spam a marketing exercise by a naïve marketer without "Double-opt-in" ?
Can be expensive if email spamming breaks the law
https://www.acma.gov.au/articles/2024-05/pizza-hut-australia-pays-25-million-penalty-spam 

Edited by petzl

A few other things to check could be routers, cameras, and other IOT devices. Hackers get into those and abuse them. These devices could be outside the firewall, or else they may have figured a way past the block.

Most email servers record the port number in the Received lines if it was not port 25. As petzl suggests, the spam complaint should offer more information.

12 hours ago, Alin said:

I the IP a shared IP? Your server may not be sending the unwanted email by someone else using the the shared IP address.

No, our clients are having public and fixed IP (is fiber connection and they usually have a router provided by us). Is not a company, is a person (persons have by contract more and lots of rights supported by EU - we can't terminate a public service contract without lots of repeated evidence). Client said he is not sending spam at all and is using only public email accounts (gmail/yahoo) so it doesn't care if we block ports that don't affect him. Spamcop report isn't telling me a thing to understand something.

This is the only thing told by spamcop:

Causes of listing
  • System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

But this client has port 25 blocked, he can't send mails directly at all, what spam ? If he can send mail through others gateway through other ports is not our problem to fix. 

I want to fix this issue, to block the problem, because i suppose is somewhere a problem but i can't identify it - if is on our side to control it.

Regards,

Alin