Should I Give Up Reporting? "Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source"

emanmb

I'm so used to reporting spam (since 2004), it's a hard habit to break when now, 90% of the spams i do report end up like this.

ScreenShot2024-08-29at5_27_52PM.thumb.png.85da16f30ffda70fabce5ac7f0a51c42.png

All my email addresses are registered w/SC and I checked this and all my addresses are there. 

I deleted, then put back my addresses and still it's the same.

What does SC mean by "Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts"?

What does SC mean by "Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source

Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

No source IP address found, cannot proceed."?

At this point I'm about to remove SC from my browsers' toolbars and give up. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gnarlymarley said:

I believe the "Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts" is referring to the Received header with the "by 10.213.248.142" It is a private IP and not a hostname.

Thanks @gnarlymarley I've really no clue as these kinda things are beyond my superficial understanding of such things.  

All I can say is I cut and paste the raw message into the SC reporting page as I've always done.  If SC can't parse this then it becomes pointless to report them anymore.  

I'm perfectly willing to give up my time to report and wait the 6 secs while SC processes each email, but if nothing gets parsed or reported then it's just wasting my time and SC's processing power.  :( 

Edited by emanmb

@gnarly is one the experienced experts on SC reporting on the forum but I reckon the IP forgery error is not related to your mailhost problems. When the app hit the mailhost error it stopped before I could see the rest of the report and the actual IP address in the header may not be the address resolved to by SC - 144.160.152.247. A lookup of most of the blocklists including SC shows barracuda central currently listing that IP reputation as poor. Look it up to find explanation why but its probably a shared IP, high spamscore, spamtrapped, server/PC infected with virus or botnet, bulk marketing emails without consent. Run the reports manually as in not through mailhost and check IP is not listed on SC before submitting reports or cancel if it is, and use quick reporting option to save time.

On 8/29/2024 at 8:45 PM, emanmb said:

All my email addresses are registered w/SC and I checked this and all my addresses are there. 

would help if you learnt how to send a SpamCop track, at top of page which you have to copy before you submit parsed spam'
Might pay to remove your mailhosts.  
But make sure that SpamCop is NOT going to reporting your ISP and you!
If your email provider is set-up properly, there should be no problem.
In fact SpamCop is more accurate actually tries to find email source if there otherwise reports the email server that sent spam.
IF there is a problem you could end up shooting yourself in the foot (reporting ones self)!
Many are not and you need to find a good one.
Gmail is good but a CIA company, AI reads everything, they hold that info of you your contacts longer than you live. 

8 hours ago, petzl said:

would help if you learnt how to send a SpamCop track, at top of page which you have to copy before you submit parsed spam

If I understand you correctly, I've been doing it this way since 2004.

Early on I fwd'ed emails to SC which meant dealing w/the spam then dealing with the reply email from SC.  

So I started doing it the way I mentioned above.  "I cut and paste the raw message into the SC reporting page as I've always done."

8 hours ago, petzl said:

no clue what that means.  You mean remove my email address?

8 hours ago, petzl said:

But make sure that SpamCop is NOT going to reporting your ISP and you!

Again, no clue.  If I have to visually scan through all that text to extract info from the report, then this is huge waste of user's time.  I do this to be helpful for web users in general, and of course revenge. 

8 hours ago, petzl said:

If your email provider is set-up properly, there should be no problem.

Define properly.  

ScreenShot2024-09-01at1_50_28PM.thumb.png.2d48d093c41446bb2ba553dff5eb454d.png

Edited by emanmb

2 hours ago, emanmb said:
10 hours ago, petzl said:

no clue what that means.  You mean remove my email address?

I didn't gather that you just forwarded email
Would suggest you log onto your SpamCop page first then copy and paste your headers and body manually  
If they are THEN
Yes remove email addresses from your mailhost's which if all of your email providers are setup properly it should be no problem.
Try that before you change anything
Do all of you spam email fail or just 1?
Also you can forward your spam email as attachment to your "supersecret" SpamCop reporting address
no need to copy and past

21 hours ago, petzl said:

I didn't gather that you just forwarded email
Would suggest you log onto your SpamCop page first then copy and paste your headers and body manually  
If they are THEN
Yes remove email addresses from your mailhost's which if all of your email providers are setup properly it should be no problem.
Try that before you change anything
Do all of you spam email fail or just 1?
Also you can forward your spam email as attachment to your "supersecret" SpamCop reporting address
no need to copy and past

Sorry I was perhaps unclear.  

In the old days, yes, I was able to fwd emails directly to SC but there became an issue w/yahoo where I couldn't fwd as attachment or zip or whatever the requirement back then was.  So I have been cutting and pasting into spamcop.net for many many years now as per your directions.  

Often i DO remove my email once pasted into SC.  Then I copy this. This is in case SC fails as shown in my OP.  

If SC fails, I parse the "hostname verified" address and use the results for fwd'ing the spam myself.  This way, my address is already removed.  Now, yahoo no longer allows me to do this as it detects the email as spam, (duh) so I'm left w/zero recourse except to give up entirely and stop wasting time with a process that no longer benefits anyone. :(

Edited by emanmb

On 9/1/2024 at 8:11 AM, petzl said:

would help if you learnt how to send a SpamCop track, at top of page which you have to copy before you submit parsed spam'

This means could you post a copy of the link to the parsed spam here please?

24 minutes ago, ninth said:

This means could you post a copy of the link to the parsed spam here please?

In all my years participating here, I never learned how to do that.  Tried and failed once years ago lol.

Any help is appreciated and I'll do that. 

On 8/29/2024 at 8:45 PM, emanmb said:

What does SC mean by "Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts"?

What does SC mean by "Mailhost configuration problem, identified internal IP as source

Mailhost:
Please correct this situation - register every email address where you receive spam

No source IP address found, cannot proceed."?

At this point I'm about to remove SC from my browsers' toolbars and give up. 

Makes it a LOT easier if you would learn to send a SpamCop Tracking URL 
Example 
SpamCop v 5.5.0 © 2024 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6904141603z1da5cef05dea0875060747b9f9753680z
Skip to Reports

Anyhow appears ONE or more or ALL of your mailhosts are NOW coming or going through a internal network!
Possible the one that collects all your email, Are you now reporting from your work place?
This is mangling your headers up.
To stop spam they need to be reported or it gets worse.

Edited by petzl

3 minutes ago, emanmb said:

Darn it.  

Screen Shot 2024-09-03 at 12.51.56 PM.png

That's not it sorry. Submit spam report and copy and post the link at the top of page before you hit send spam reports. The tracking URL will not display your details and we need examples of one report that worked and one that did not.

On 9/3/2024 at 1:19 PM, petzl said:

Found at TOP of reporting page
BEFORE you submit/send report
https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6904141603z1da5cef05dea0875060747b9f9753680z

OK, so to get the link to post here I first have to report it, have it fail, then come here and post a link at top of the page? Counterintuitive but I'll roll with that.   😀

Have some fresh spam to try.

First fail of the day.  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592413z40dc77adf4337a9ad943ff8ab30487e8z

2nd fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592462zb95da977592c2070aa92672a19186d36z

3rd fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592585z68fd5791ded811ed09b8b93d034264b0z

4th fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592709z8ccc2584cf2aa11ef5684c5f660af490z

So this is 4 fails out of 7 spams today.

Edited by emanmb

1 hour ago, emanmb said:

OK, so to get the link to post here I first have to report it, have it fail, then come here and post a link at top of the page? Counterintuitive but I'll roll with that.   😀

Have some fresh spam to try.

First fail of the day.  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592413z40dc77adf4337a9ad943ff8ab30487e8z

2nd fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592462zb95da977592c2070aa92672a19186d36z

3rd fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592585z68fd5791ded811ed09b8b93d034264b0z

4th fail  https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592709z8ccc2584cf2aa11ef5684c5f660af490z

So this is 4 fails out of 7 spams today.

10.253.31.116 is not a routeable IP address

0: Received: from 52.103.192.1 (EHLO HK2PR02CU002.outbound.protection.outlook.com) by 10.253.31.116 with SMTPs (version=TLS1_2 cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256); Tue, 03 Sep 2024 20:35:47 +0000

Received: from 20.175.108.155 (EHLO cookiescorreas.com)
 by 10.197.40.167 with SMTP;
10.197.40.167 is not a routeable IP address

0: Received: from 20.175.108.155 (EHLO cookiescorreas.com) by 10.197.40.167 with SMTP; Tue, 03 Sep 2024 18:56:59 +0000
10.197.40.167 is not a routeable IP address

0: Received: from 20.175.108.153 (EHLO absolute-bikini-babes.com) by 10.197.39.167 with SMTP; Tue, 03 Sep 2024 17:50:26 +0000
10.197.39.167 is not a routeable IP address

As has already been said the 4 tracks show 
not a routeable IP address
Means these 4 spams are going through a/your network and mangling the headers
Whatever the email address of this spam needs removing as SpamCop is looking for the Host IP

These IP's beginning with 10.*.*.* are from the network that has nothing to do with the host of the email sent by it
SpamCop therefore cannot see that email host that email address  host needs to be removed from Mailhosts. Ideally they all need removing from mailhosts, but check BEFORE reporting yhat you are not reporting yourself

Also if the alleged spam has a unsubscribe use it, seems you are getting newsgroup emails, cruise ship emails
They know your email address anyway!
ALSO
Go to your Browser settings 
Block third-party cookies
If unchecked it can access you email addresses (eg Facebook, etc.) and pass these to  other marketers
Also scan for PUP's    
SUPERAntiSpyware is free but with ads 
site below shows what a PUP is. Widows Defender does not agree that a PUP is malware?
https://www.malwarebytes.com/cybersecurity/basics/what-is-pup

Edited by petzl

18 minutes ago, petzl said:

Whatever the email address of this spam needs removing as SpamCop is looking for the Host IP

My email?  I have done that in the past with no effect.

19 minutes ago, petzl said:

host needs to be removed from Mailhosts

This one?

image.png.a6c98f54824dbb0e694d7edd96895b73.png

Or this one?  Or both?

image.png.e42f0e200fe6caf040f3b7bd4619b8c8.png

None of these emails/"companies" has anything to do w/my browsing history.  I won't unsubscribe as that is spam no-no 101.

Scanned and all OK via malwarebytes and cleanmymac.

image.png.f967f7851c37b79b5dd9211ec97b6cdb.png

image.png.ec5fb9c72bfd15dfb3c375966e226e20.png

1 hour ago, emanmb said:

Scanned and all OK via malwarebytes and cleanmymac.

image.png.f967f7851c37b79b5dd9211ec97b6cdb.png

image.png.ec5fb9c72bfd15dfb3c375966e226e20.png

Not a MAC/Apple user that explains the problem apple have mangle headers so you need someone familiar with a MAC
SpamCop is detecting the source IP but while you have mailhosts set, Apple seems to mangle them
The fix as I keep telling you is to remove ALL of your mailhost entries
The potential is that without mailhost SpamCop may detect you as the spammer
Also look for a free trial of a good malware detector, Operating system scans are OK but political in that your machine seems infected with spyware called PUP's
https://macpaw.com/how-to/remove-pup-malware
ALSO
These are sent to other marketeers who can then see where you have been and get your email address's by profiling these cookies from places you have given it to
If unchecked it can access you email addresses (eg Facebook, etc.) and pass these to  other marketers

Edited by petzl

28 minutes ago, petzl said:

Not a MAC/Apple user that explains the problem apple have mangle headers so you need someone familiar with a MAC
SpamCop is detecting the source IP but while you have mailhosts set, Apple seems to mangle them
The potential is that without mailhost SpamCop may detect you as the spammer
Also look for a free trial of a good malware detector, Operating system scans are OK but political in that your machine seems infected with spyware called PUP's
ALSO
These are sent to other marketeers who can then see where you have been and get your email address's by profiling these cookies from places you have given it to
If unchecked it can access you email addresses (eg Facebook, etc.) and pass these to  other marketers

Browser settings are already set.  

spam raw data is taken from the browser, not a mail app.  No chance for any "mangling" unless yahoo does it. 

40 minutes ago, petzl said:

As I mentioned, I have taken all my email entries in the raw data out in the past with no effect, but not iP addresses tho.  This includes spams that have my email in the message via HTML links or just as text.  

I can try with the IP addresses taken out if you suggest that.  Or I can try taking out all email addresses in the raw data before processing. Have to wait for next batch of spam to arrive to try anything tho. ;) 

15 hours ago, emanmb said:

Browser settings are already set.  

spam raw data is taken from the browser, not a mail app.  No chance for any "mangling" unless yahoo does it. 

As I mentioned, I have taken all my email entries in the raw data out in the past with no effect, but not iP addresses tho.  This includes spams that have my email in the message via HTML links or just as text.  

I can try with the IP addresses taken out if you suggest that.  Or I can try taking out all email addresses in the raw data before processing. Have to wait for next batch of spam to arrive to try anything tho. ;) 

"I can try with the IP addresses taken out if you suggest" NEVER SUGGESTED THAT!
I give up I just have no knowledge about your system.
Other than your Apple email software/system is mangling headers, does not comply with email standards.
Changing headers and reporting your own created headers is not a legal solution.
Then see if SpamCop reports accurately, open a second SpamCop service to see/try this out on
IF this works and you can still report by enail the easiest is to "forward AS ATTACHMENT"
On the Mac program, you can right click on the message in your inbox, and, select forward AS ATTACHMENT
Looking at your SpamCop tracks looks like you are not removing unneeded cookies, some you need for logging on. others are just security problem
For Windows I use the freeware version of never update itm CCleaner  you need to see if it does the same for your system, your machine appears loaded with malware PUP's which need checking with a malware virus app!
Not sure but just use a free trial then uninstall after a few months try another
Doubt if you actually read or understand anything I have stated?
Try to get a friend to help you.

Edited by petzl

23 hours ago, emanmb said:

It is not counterintuitive to follow the forum help topic read this before you add your first topic or post. Try to search the forum for other topics related to mailhosts that might be useful.

On 9/4/2024 at 9:55 PM, emanmb said:

As I mentioned, I have taken all my email entries in the raw data out in the past with no effect, but not iP addresses tho.

OK just noticed from SC URL track that all four came from Yahoo email

First fail of the day. https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592413z40dc77adf4337a9ad943ff8ab30487e8z
2nd fail https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592462zb95da977592c2070aa92672a19186d36z
3rd fail https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592585z68fd5791ded811ed09b8b93d034264b0z
4th fail https://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z6907592709z8ccc2584cf2aa11ef5684c5f660af490z

How to view headers in Yahoo! Mail
Open the message for which you wish to view the headers.
Right Click the ...  (three dots) above the message pane.
In the menu, select View Raw Message. A new tab will open containing your message's headers, which you can now copy and paste.

They are not the same as you are submitting?
Just logged into Yahoo Mail did the above and this is result (no network addresses like you have been reporting?)
Sorry no longer can access SpamCop (forgot password issue) also these headers are over 3 days old
At least it is not these horrible eye straining unsearchable images you send of text?
These mean one has to remember IP addresses, etc. Instead of search copy and pasting, being blind cannot type that fast

Received: from 127.0.0.1
 by atlas-production.v2-mail-prod1-bf1.omega.yahoo.com pod-id atlas--production-bf1-566596458d-7zntz.bf1.yahoo.com with HTTP; Thu, 22 Aug 2024 00:12:09 +0000
Return-Path: <pageupdates@facebookmail.com>
X-Originating-Ip: [66.220.144.148]
Received-SPF: pass (domain of facebookmail.com designates 66.220.144.148 as permitted sender)
Authentication-Results: atlas-production.v2-mail-prod1-bf1.omega.yahoo.com;
 dkim=pass header.i=@facebookmail.com header.s=s1024-2013-q3;
 spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=facebookmail.com;
 dmarc=pass(p=REJECT) header.from=facebookmail.com;
X-Apparently-To: XXXXXX@yahoo.com; Thu, 22 Aug 2024 00:12:10 +0000
X-YMailISG: M9NTTQQWLDvLMJvpn8mssG5nxowTYBob3WjYDXGQAtk_oeeQ
 lDB1Q6QvgtcaULpa_Xmd.VRokKqsi_wmSjBuVbkRJEsfiJA62mbSCJnqLoKc
 xTXIsQsSDMX4In1_EFLEc.7hvbu7c5E5mueP5lpkZAgOnTAao_DhNsg3VVq5
 4K1XJjVX_FkSqe0Fz7hPLo2BacNa1FAIwMdzHFEJyfYR1W0imD9inC0uyxbx
 sG6Cfb_A76eBKnhKBAppunzSk4JfKbyxGygMCK2U2rl5mNy5Kcxuk24dPvVX
 WkJkrZsbahsT8TGd4c2E6AEv8iSQVLdk1UeeBBKU0PxzCmMpIAuh_8dpvVyR
 ztJ4nIfWe9fAsEEgelupaDbyJqZ6QI4oQGCx6mXTzpCt5odrLuWDi58cEhzb
 qnIVFqv8KtdgtRFeHrQ8AYMG6VNWXQPDHGY2z5bFv.RqEuWngeS5iA4z7Wwm
 2c_D63B2fX_gVKMYTIIMrrozyFM3YfK3lvLrq6ffwVhvzZw7KSBqtFo2ss9n
 0XZFv1R36.hgLvDu5Ac5ZzJsI5s231ToQ8HsCN4R3UIVggWNXHWviEvdpmna
 fqJCuZLrziE_SbUNWVWpiYOVdC9kOCZ7kO1YMPHVv5BUANpfey.I2i81TvRn
 Aa.3S7gy2qlfQPcvtC9L22jQ1nTKzYv6wzuQvZQLkQjccDHMaoHhtvrt4a33
 4CzQgRVlgOCia9EVXNC3Gn.w78nB7rGqorqCWAdDyHth2JD4OalrCiTa5eLV
 Tx0DhiHOPvlWb0iz3Xz4TskUrifP5dpu7Iw6hDgzaYHSeJVfAOi1xx7pE3Fb
 dbOPCRzyrS_tc.9lXyCW9dPYV8k3DlGHEkIBS4ZR77nCETx13dTW9cyyG_e_
 sP.gGYtHbdhrlRETY0oDyqElKsyY0_27AAWvujQakunXPeuBSduhATZ2gmW6
 ok0TXiEtaEjclNMQZShrBLFDxMczNSDPYLC.O.3.h0SrblhQds7xr.GWh0yR
 1CNAaG4470E7T3XVOi3YyHE6n1Y6lNN.k5hsN4yqcjDoD39qnvlDQ_026pIJ
 N63LUnInFK0xPbxRmCSVYpuaP5z0td_8HX0v5h4V1qirlXiGqUk14u4KCmLZ
 SikQDtDStEoeVrQ.btfyjOFOQ8lHPptXwFyaJNfVyFleSaCPzpFB2mFYEZSX
 J1DPoeWTECTW2WuX9PLHwHWYRzkiMuaB_ZGe.woI9r_f7s3m_05irA6u8RKI
 l7uSWFd1sdTT_Sli1.ttPz5u9T55Q8ukP2QJhxNvcHbmQo_QYoGX2qcRJiYV
 A0ONdTGg_rEaRI0-
Received: from 66.220.144.148 (EHLO 66-220-144-148.mail-mail.facebook.com)
 by 10.197.32.201 with SMTPs
 (version=TLS1_3 cipher=TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256);
 Thu, 22 Aug 2024 00:12:09 +0000
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=facebookmail.com;
    s=s1024-2013-q3; t=1724285524;
    bh=+fwfBYG2f60YXZEzFcwunilOn6qUrGwRm3ip/WQDvSY=;
    h=Date:To:Subject:From:MIME-Version:Content-Type;
    b=JAITfpY+93N55XmGnBIOaUote+lcOXupUf3DbyNiVjqHbISTy/AIclA+cD5Gy0C6B
     IOKSBRQVnYpHvGC9zNxNvDn0UyI3RzxoBkMU82+29ssCRxBFA6O2A/lMmnjLNHooaP
     5ziLLJg3EOWOxO+pYDycEr7LO8/3PAJ9OVGfBD8U=
X-Facebook: from 2803:6080:c150:b964:948e:6357:300:0 ([MTI3LjAuMC4x]) 
    by www.facebook.com with HTTPS (ZuckMail);
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 17:12:04 -0700
To: JOE  <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Subject: Love Jesus and others are suggested for you
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: ZuckMail [version 1.00]
Reply-to: noreply <noreply@facebookmail.com>
Errors-To: pageupdates@facebookmail.com
X-Facebook-Notify: pages_you_may_like; mailid=U1U6203a38887725G5af477daddd8G6203a821e79f7G5a4
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.facebook.com/o.php?k=AS2TpftkL_1lpGleyKI&u=100006029352408&mid=6203a38887725G5af477daddd8G6203a821e79f7G5a4&ee=AY0izkqANiHZvLKCgFIZLrA83YWOjpD0RO3WcqEkWMxe77e6p1Mnj5ctZ2dPEfaQcwAobfwJKaEL9w>
Feedback-ID: pages_you_may_like:Facebook
X-FACEBOOK-PRIORITY: 1
X-Auto-Response-Suppress: All
Require-Recipient-Valid-Since: XXXXXX@yahoo.com; Sunday,  2 Jun 2013 09:52:21 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="b1_365d62a45f2cdd89b603c535b3eb519a"
Message-ID: <2994efc2-601b-11ef-83fd-a580b3387160@facebookmail.com>
Content-Length: 41555

Compare these to the headers you sent/are getting/copy and pasting.

Edited by petzl

https://ibb.co/yNBV7sX 
Seems it is good at picking up PUP's
Ok tried MalWarebytes on my WIN10 64 bit PC
Picked up 30 PUP's or says it did.
https://ibb.co/cYDzqWK  
These are annoying spyware that share thing like email addresses!
Facebook pretty certain they do as well because I have a number of friends I like to keep in contact with
Set up a Facebook page with FULL name
Created a full name Gmail address same time
Near instantly getting spammed by face book dodgy marketers!
I very good at making spammers cease and desist, usually left alone by those I have burnt, had sent to court, made pay Registrar's compensation.
So IMO reporting spam works, you also have to workout where they are getting your email address from

How to view headers in Yahoo! Mail
Open the message for which you wish to view the headers.
Right Click the ...  (three dots) above the message pane.
In the menu, select View Raw Message. A new tab will open containing your message's headers, which you can now copy and paste.

Edited by petzl