How does the WHITE list work ?

tiktakit

Hi,

I'm using "Verio" hosting service and wrote a simple contact form that would able customers to send mail to the webmaster. Unfortunately, some of the mails are returned (i.e mails that were sent to Hotmail accounts).

I assume that Hotmail is using your service. If i figure it right, you provide black lists of suspicious spam, and a mail provider filters the emails according to IP's on your list.

Thus I have some questions:

1. Is there an option to add the domain, where the form (and mail, using a mailer object) sent from, to spamCop whitelist? What documntation need to be provided by the company to ensure it's not spam, in this case ?

2.The mail is forwarded thorugh several mail servers untill it gets to an address. What if one server is blocked - is adding the domain it was sent from would hlp anything ?

3. is there a mail to contact you ?

Sincerely,

Hadar K.

"We" are simply users of the spamcop services, but most of us are pretty knowledgable. I'll take a stab at your issues.

I'm using "Verio" hosting service and wrote a simple contact form that would able customers to send mail to the webmaster. Unfortunately, some of the mails are returned (i.e mails that were sent to Hotmail accounts).

I've dealth with this same problem before, and I would STRONGLY recommend against using Verios mail services, there are VERY serious configuration problems with their servers that they are disinclined to correct (namely misdirected bounces).

Until these problems are corrected, Verio mail servers will continue to be listed on spamcop and other DNSBL services that list for misdirected bounces to spamtraps.

As far as I know, Hotmail uses their own blacklists, not spamcop.

1. Is there an option to add the domain, where the form (and mail, using a mailer object) sent from, to spamCop whitelist? What documntation need to be provided by the company to ensure it's not spam, in this case ?

That would be up to the capabilities of the individual recipients. It is the receiving ISP that elects to block messages, therefor it is that same receiving ISP that would have to offer a whitelist feature to their customers.

2.The mail is forwarded thorugh several mail servers untill it gets to an address. What if one server is blocked - is adding the domain it was sent from would hlp anything ?

The vast majority of mail servers only look at the connecting IP address, that is, the last server in the chain which actually makes the connection to the receiving ISP and sends the mail. However, that being said, there are a few filtering services (Spamcop's email service for instance) which will drill down through the headers after they are received and examine each IP address in the chain. This is a processor intensive process, and therefor is not very common.

3. is there a mail to contact you ?

If you want official support, you can contact deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net, however, I believe that address is handled by 3 people handling 1000+ emails per day, so make sure you spell out exactly what it is you want, and provide any and all data that might be applicable in the first message (IP addresses, etc), and be prepared to wait several days for a response.

Moving this Topic to the Lounge (ruled out the Geek/Tech section) as it really is not a question on how to use or interact with the SpamCopDNSBL ....

Noting that in actuality, most of the questions asked are already answered within the SpamCop FAQ

Archived