Weblink in image (no real link)

Kromitvs

Hy...

I've been advised not to post repeated issues, but I did not find any topic on this, in the forum (maybe a hijack somewhere?) or in the FAQ. Nevertheless, I know there is, because it is not new... (i.e., Don't be too hard on the newbie).

I'm receiving spam where the link to the 3rd interested party site (watch/medicine/etc seller) is an image. You can't click. They ask you to type it in your browser.

I know I can't do material changes. (But can I do it if the spam ask me to type it :D ?)

And I know this is a personal project, and supposed to report spam senders only, 3rd party is a "bonus feature"...

But since this is a forum I'll post my opinion on that too (please do answer the main question before disagreeing...).

The www evolves tremendously faster than any other thing... SpamCop can either evolve with it or under it. IMHO, 3rd interested party are know as important as the sender, because if you want to stop spammers, you should stop their income ;)

Anyway... How do I report these links?

The usual advice when this comes up is to simply report it manually. You can use the parser to help you find who to report the site to, but it is up to you to compose and send it.

On the surface, shutting down the sites seems important, however, having done a bit of experimentation with reporting websites, I've found it seems to make little difference.

My theory is that the majority of these sites are registered with stolen CC information anyway, and only have a lifespan of a few days (however long it takes the registrar to realize they're not going to get paid) before they come down on their own. Typically this actually happens faster than the registrar or host would have responded to a complaint.

Add to that the fact that many of these sites are now hosted on compromised machines using rotating DNS provided by other compromised machines, and you find that most of your complaints actually end up doing little or no good.

Simply not worth the time to track down where to send them and fire off a complaint in my opinion.

I'm receiving spam where the link to the 3rd interested party site (watch/medicine/etc seller) is an image. You can't click. They ask you to type it in your browser.

Don't foprget that even though the URL cannot be reported by the parser, submitting a SpamCop report in the normal way does help identify the originating IP for the spam Email and contributes to the BL. So still worth submitting a SpamCop report without amending the Email in any way.

Andrew

Archived