Other Spam-reporting services

Surfer

There are different ways of reporting spam. The services you listed do different things to combat spam.

Perhaps someone will explain the differences soon. I am sorry but don't have the time.

You might try the spamcop wiki which is the last item on the top menu on this page. Someone is trying to write articles that are easy to understand.

Miss Betsy

Yet, the majority of these sites are in fact listed in the SpamCop FAQ 'here' .. under the Other Places section ....

The distinction is that the queried URLs aren't "reporting services" .. they are places that accept spam complaints/reports that one manually gnerates, lists of BL data/status ...

As none of this directly relates to the use of the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system, it's off to the Lounge area for thios Topic/Discussion.

I always add the FTC's spam collection address, spam[at]uce.gov, to the user notification field when I manually report an email. They simply use that address to collect spam and look for trends, so they can try and take action against spammers. Probably 99% of it never gets used, but occasionally, they will make a bust. It's not much extra effort, so I just take the time to do it anyway.

The only other time I use the user notification field is when SC doesn't resolve a domain, so I look it up manually on ARIN and forward it to the NOC/abuse dept. of whoever manages the IP range.

As far as reporting it anywhere else goes, I am not aware of anyone else who maintains a blacklist that is inputted by users, most all other DNSBls use spamtraps to capture spam and blacklist the origin. You can learn a little bit more about them by watching The spam Documentary (scroll down a ways to find the link to the video).

Archived