Filter Acct - POP skipping mails with attachments

New paid account today.

Set up new email account to recieve filtered mail on my domain berksnet <dot> com

Set up POP server so spamcop pulls mail off my normal POP account

Setup forwarding so spamcop sends filtered mail back to my new filtered account

Initially had leave on server unchecked. After a couple mails disappeared, I unchecked 'Leave On Server'

Works pretty well at separating junk from good stuff.

But some mail - those messages with attachments, never get forwarded, or moved to "held"

When I had remove from server checked, they got removed, but not forwarded, or moved to held

Happened to several mails from camera phone, images about 50k jpg, and a junk mail with a 13k gif

Using Thunderbird to send and retrieve from original account.

Using open web mail in firefox and ie6 to view mail in both accounts using openwebmail

Also, how much time delay is typical when using a POP host to retrieve mail to run through the filters? Is there any way I can configure the polling interval?

Is there a problem with attachments?

Thanks

New paid account today.

Matbe trued to much too fst, not experimented enough yet?

Set up new email account to recieve filtered mail on my domain berksnet <dot> com

Set up POP server so spamcop pulls mail off my normal POP account

Setup forwarding so spamcop sends filtered mail back to my new filtered account

Sounds good.

Initially had leave on server unchecked. After a couple mails disappeared, I unchecked 'Leave On Server'

These two sentences don't quite agree with each other.

But some mail - those messages with attachments, never get forwarded, or moved to "held"

When I had remove from server checked, they got removed, but not forwarded, or moved to held

As above, what you are saying isn't clear. I couldn't find a "remove from server" setting anywhere ...

Happened to several mails from camera phone, images about 50k jpg, and a junk mail with a 13k gif

Using Thunderbird to send and retrieve from original account.

Using open web mail in firefox and ie6 to view mail in both accounts using openwebmail

Thanks for that data, but not sure how it factors into the 'forwarding' issue.

More critical data would be some of the other vauois settings in use .... for example;

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/spamc...preferences.php

Forwarding Address

Here, you can enter a forwarding address where mail will be sent after it is filtered. If you wish to leave your email on the server, leave this blank.

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/spamcop/popconfig.php

Leave on Server checkbox

https://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/filterprefs.php

Filter Options:

Apply filter rules upon logging on?

Apply filter rules whenever INBOX is displayed?

Message Viewing

Show an icon to allow stripping of attachments from messages?

Then we move on to clearing up some of your statements .... for example, those that got moved to the Held folder .... what is the reason stated in the "Disposition:" line?

The scenario that some e-mails get forwarded but others don't needs a bit more data to try to decypher what's actually different (or is the timing off?) There's really no way for anyone on this side of the screen to guess at the parameters of 'your' e-mail.

Also, how much time delay is typical when using a POP host to retrieve mail to run through the filters? Is there any way I can configure the polling interval?

Have to ask, have you checked the SpamCop FAQ 'here' yet? How much of the 'mailsc/official' FAQ stuff have you read yet?

Is there a problem with attachments?

The only "attachment" problems are mainly from those that have issues trying to 'send' e-mail with attachments, and for some reason, those 'issues' can't seem to be duplicated by others .... not much sense talking about those that try to send huge attachments, as that is addressed in several places ....

Thanks Wazoo,

Yes, my typing got ahead of my brain a little bit. You are correct, there is no "remove from server." Initially I had Leave On Server unchecked and after it seemed some mail was getting lost, I reset it to checked to leave it on my POP server. The forwarding to the new account is working, but sometimes it seems to take almost an hour to get there.

I did search FAQs and forum for any articles about attachments.

I didn't search to hard for time delay, polling or the like.

So far my trust level is about 80%.

I'll start a new post if I can gather better details.

Archived