[Resolved] Spam Report Response

c0ldfire

Hi,

First of all, Thanks for the Great Service..I consider this the leading authentic spam fighting and reporting resources over the whole Internet, I hope this service kept free and run for a very long time.

Yesterday night i reported a couple of spam messages arrived to my hotmail account inbox which were annoying me many times a while ago using spamcop reporting form and everything went well..

Knowing that i'm sure that those messages are spam, but this spammer is a bit smart and played a simple trick and inserted a couple of lines at the end of each message making it appear as a legitimate mailing list subscription e-mail.

the lines on both messages are the following:

PLEASE NOTE!

This is not spam You recived this messege because you are a member at yahoogroups You can send any messege to the group address %RECIPIENTEMAIL%! friend!To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: nnn777_33_3-unsubscribe[at]yahoogroups.com

mail delivery system!!! Auto-generated e-mail, please, do not reply!!!

PLEASE NOTE!

This is a legitimate email -You are recieveing this email from a friend on your MSN Hotmail Email Account

mail delivery system!!! Auto-generated e-mail, please, do not reply!!!

Note the %RECIPIENTEMAIL% !

I'm not sure if the yahoo group unsubscription e-mail address is valid or not, But i never subscribed to such thing, I'm sure, and even if it's opt-out it's still spam!

and I don't even know the group name who got my e-mail address this spammer is pretending that i subscribed to in case if someone reported him.

I thought of removing those lines before reporting but i didn't want to do this to leave the original spam message body *Intact*.

This morning i got 2 responses from an admin of the hosting company "BlueHost" which the spam was originated from their servers , with the following response:

Appears to be valid subscribed mailling list, offering a way to unsubscribe.

Now, What is the next right step, and what should i do now when i'm sure they are both spam, should i contact the same admin back? and what should i say or do to prove that those are blatant spam and i never subscribed to such group which (ironicly) i don't even know the group name or url?, or should i take some other action to solve this?

Kind Regards

This morning i got 2 responses from an admin of the hosting company "BlueHost" which the spam was originated from their servers , with the following response:

Now, What is the next right step, and what should i do now when i'm sure they are both spam, should i contact the same admin back? and what should i say or do to prove that those are blatant spam and i never subscribed to such group which (ironicly) i don't even know the group name or url?, or should i take some other action to solve this?

I would email from a different, disposable email account the part you told us:

I'm not sure if the yahoo group unsubscription e-mail address is valid or not, But i never subscribed to such thing, I'm sure, and even if it's opt-out it's still spam! and I don't even know the group name who got my e-mail address this spammer is pretending that i subscribed to in case if someone reported him.

<snip>

Knowing that i'm sure that those messages are spam,

<snip>

...The capitalized version of the word is a trademark of Hormel Foods, so please do not use it unless you mean the Hormel product. Please see See spam and the Internet, especially the third paragraph. Thanks!
the lines on both messages are the following:

Note the %RECIPIENTEMAIL% !

...Yep, pretty much clinches it for me! :) <g>
Appears to be valid subscribed mailling list, offering a way to unsubscribe.
...They are so clueless! If you have the time and inclination, you might write back to them to point out all the reasons this is so obviously not what they seem to think but it probably isn't worth it.... :(

...Just took a quick look at their web site and I see no AUP so they apparently don't care too much about whether their service is used for spam. Further evidence of clueless.

...If you can find an upstream provider, maybe they can help.

Thank you guys for your kind reply..

I did used a different e-mail address as StevenUnderwood adviced and I took the time and effort and wrote a long e-mail message to the admin explaining the why's and how's and that fighting spam is critical for saving alot of people's time, effort and energy and it will help save a precious network bandwidth on the ongoing process of making the internet a better place :D

About the capitalized version of the word 'spam', I did go and read the link you provided, i'm sorry i didn't know this before..from now on i will use it lower case as long as i mean "unsolicited bulk e-mail"...thanks for the info :)

One little question if you have time, Any tips to know if he (or any other admin) took my spam report seriously or not?

So if he didn't response back for approvement and i kept recieving those spam messages again in the future i will make a whois search or something to find an upstream provider, Datacenter or ISP and report to it.

I'm thinking of a way to force those admins to respond to spam reports and take it more seriously like blocking their SMTP server address from sending out any future outgoing e-mails for a few hours or until the spammer get caught or something. or even force the hosting company to pay a small fine after a number of 3 approved spam complaints for example...but this should be arranged with local or international law authorities i guess if it's not already being applied.

<snip>

About the capitalized version of the word 'spam', I did go and read the link you provided, i'm sorry i didn't know this before..from now on i will use it lower case as long as i mean "unsolicited bulk e-mail"...thanks for the info :)

...There's no reason to apologize -- how would you have known something so trivial?

...If you hang around the SpamCop Forums and you're anything like me, you can't help but find interesting new things -- there's such a wealth of knowledge here among SpamCop users! :) <g>

One little question if you have time, Any tips to know if he (or any other admin) took my spam report seriously or not?

<snip>

...Nothing that comes to mind for me. After all, only the admin (and the perpetrator, if the admin shuts her/him down) can possibly know for certain.
I'm thinking of a way to force those admins to respond to spam reports and take it more seriously like blocking their SMTP server address from sending out any future outgoing e-mails for a few hours or until the spammer get caught or something. or even force the hosting company to pay a small fine after a number of 3 approved spam complaints for example...but this should be arranged with local or international law authorities i guess if it's not already being applied.
...What you write at the end there is exactly my thinking -- legal authorities (or legal threats) are the only way to make a recalcitrant admin act. And, at least here in the U.S., such authorities are unlikely to act unless there are very large financial losses or someone (or ones) with substantial political power get "gored."

I just got a reply from the admins of the hosting company for the recent response i wrote regarding the two spam reports, they are as follows:

Hello,

Due to other reports of this domain and similar domains sending UCE and

spamvertisements, we have deactivated their hosting.

Hello,

All email capabilities have been deactivated for this domain due to numerous

spam complaints.

Thank you for your support here :)

I just got a reply from the admins of the hosting company for the recent response i wrote regarding the two spam reports, they are as follows:

<snip>

Hello,

All email capabilities have been deactivated for this domain due to numerous

spam complaints.

Thank you for your support here :)

...So they got tired of the complaints and either pulled the plug on the spammer(s) or just decided to make you think so. We can't know for sure but for now let's take them at their word.

...Good work!

...Based on this reply, I shall mark this thread as "Resolved."

...So they got tired of the complaints and either pulled the plug on the spammer(s) or just decided to make you think so. We can't know for sure but for now let's take them at their word.

May be, It came across my mind too that they may just say that and still did nothing...I should have made a whois lookup on the domain twice (one before making the report and one after recieving response) and write down the domain reverse IP and the DNS name server addresses to compare.

Anyway, next time I do report something I will do that. that is the best we can do now.and yes this thread is resolved.

Thank you turetzsr..

Archived