[Resolved] General question about usage and procedure...

Xar

Hello. I've been using Spamcop webmail now for about 6 months. I use SpamCop's SMTP and POP3 servers to send and receive mail to my email client (MS Outlook 2002).

This is a general question about use and whether or not what I'm doing is helping out anybody at all. Here's how I use Spamcop...

1. I log in via webmail. Anything that is in my INBOX that is spam I mark and use the "Report as spam" link. Then these disappear.

2. I pull all remaining legitimate mail to my inbox in Outlook via pop3 (and send out any pending emails in outlook via SMTP)

3. A few times a day I will go into my "held mail" area of Spamcop. I scan it for anything that is legitimate that might have been accidentally blocked. After releasing anything that was legitimate, I mark the whole mess and use the "Report as spam" link and the whole thing gets sent out to reporting.

I get anywhere from 50 to several hundred spam mails in my "Held Mail" area every day. I am wondering if by going in and doing the (minimal work) of marking and reporting spam in both my inbox and held mail areas in spamcop webmail is doing anyone any good. I have never used the more complex "Report spam" form/link - I only mark messages and use the "Report as spam" link. I have reporting turned off so I never see any feedback in email but I can view my reports.

Is what I'm doing valid? Or am I just wasting my time by marking spam and reporting it? How do I know if some spammer's account got canned because of it, meaning I actually did some good? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

I have never used the more complex "Report spam" form/link - I only mark messages and use the "Report as spam" link. I have reporting turned off so I never see any feedback in email but I can view my reports.

Is what I'm doing valid? Or am I just wasting my time by marking spam and reporting it? How do I know if some spammer's account got canned because of it, meaning I actually did some good? Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

Have you ever gone to the reporting page: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/ to see if you have a message like: Unreported spam Saved: Report Now?

You say you can view your reports. Are there any listed under your Past Reports?

My understanding always has been that unless you request it, Quick Reporting is not turned on and the Report as spam link simply submits the messages to the parser and no reports are sent. However, I have been a member for several years now and that part may have changed.

If there are reports being sent as viewed in your Past Reports section, then you are helping more spam to end up in your (and my, and anyone using the SCBL) Held Mail folder by getting IP's listed or to remain listed. Thank you.

Since you have replies turned off, you will not get the feedback that the account has been shutdown, but you are not missing much. I accept all replies and there are even few robot replies these days.

My understanding always has been that unless you request it, Quick Reporting is not turned on
"Quick" reporting by email spam submission is not turned on unless the user requests it, but "quick" reporting from Held Mail is on by default.

Report as spam link simply submits the messages to the parser and no reports are sent.
The "Report as spam" command in Held Mail is a form of "quick" reporting.

- Don -

Moderator edit: Don's reference to "Report as spam" is actually a reference to the link found in the WebMail interface instead of "Held Mail" which is one of several folders found in WebMail or can be accessed separately using the VER interface which provides several different options for reporting spam including quick reporting.

For more information about quick reporting see: Quick Reporting found in the SpamCop Wiki

"Quick" reporting by email spam submission is not turned on unless the user requests it, but "quick" reporting from Held Mail is on by default.

The "Report as spam" command in Held Mail is a form of "quick" reporting.

- Don -

Thank you. That has changed since I originally signed up. You helped me enable quick reporting from webmail a few years ago when that link became available.

Longer than I thought:

Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 03:53:56 -0700

To: "Steven P. Underwood" <StevenU[at]POBoxes.com>

Subject: Re: SpamCop has accepted 1 email for processing

>Would it be possible to enable quick reporting from the webmail interface as well?

I enabled "quick" reporting for you.

Have you ever gone to the reporting page: http://mailsc.spamcop.net/ to see if you have a message like: Unreported spam Saved: Report Now?

No I don't see anything like that on that page.

You say you can view your reports. Are there any listed under your Past Reports?

Yes... this is what some of it looks like:

Submitted: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:41 AM -0500:

=?iso-2022-jp?B?GyRCPGgkajVeJC5BdyRqJF4kORsoQg==?=

* 2085729156 ( 222.168.138.153 ) To: ipmgr#jltele.com[at]devnull.spamcop.net

* 2085729155 ( 222.168.138.153 ) To: ct-abuse[at]abuse.sprint.net

* 2085729154 ( 222.168.138.153 ) To: anti-spam[at]ns.chinanet.cn.net

* 2085729153 ( 222.168.138.153 ) To: postmaster#chinanet.cn.net[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:40 AM -0500:

Re: Need a University {}Degree to obtain the career oyu?ve always wanted?

* 2085729160 ( 59.184.63.217 ) To: mtnlco#giasdl01.vsnl.net.in[at]devnull.spamcop.net

Submitted: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:40 AM -0500:

Best prices

* 2085729172 ( 83.8.220.223 ) To: abuse[at]tpnet.pl

Submitted: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:39 AM -0500:

Play and Win.

* 2085729175 ( 125.238.121.127 ) To: nic[at]ggi.net.nz

Submitted: Monday, January 01, 2007 11:57:39 AM -0500:

Ãú°ê¤HçxÂû~¸ÉÂk¸É~ÃÙ¯uÂ¥L¶ýªº¶Q¡]Ãú°êÂû¤[at]½ú¤l¦³¦Y¨ì¤[at]¦¸´N«Ü²n¤F¡^Dustin

* 2085729182 ( 222.110.42.20 ) To: abuse[at]kornet.net

If there are reports being sent as viewed in your Past Reports section, then you are helping more spam to end up in your (and my, and anyone using the SCBL) Held Mail folder by getting IP's listed or to remain listed. Thank you.

Well it seems that I am - and you're very welcome. B)

Since you have replies turned off, you will not get the feedback that the account has been shutdown, but you are not missing much. I accept all replies and there are even few robot replies these days.

Ok, so what I'm doing is helping add spam material to the database and block spammers is what I get out of this... cool, I'll continue. :D

Archived