Random email addresses

BrandiochConner

I just checked my office email server. I'm seeing hundreds of completely random email addresses being tried. Addresses such as:

adewufjdmvx[at]

adwqojyzf[at]

aeaoyo[at]

aeondql[at]

aeusjdqm[at]

akcujges[at]

akdesujlc[at]

akzrdopxgsl[at]

Most of them seem to be coming from various yahoo servers such as mta152.mail.re3.yahoo.com [66.196.127.162].

None of these are making it through my system as I reject bad addresses at SMTP time (running Exim4). So I can't see what they're about.

Is anyone else seeing these? Should I do report the IP addresses/servers anywhere? I don't have any of the spam so there's nothing I can really reference. Or is it some spammer doesn't know how to work his software?

I just checked my office email server. I'm seeing hundreds of completely random email addresses being tried. Addresses such as:

adewufjdmvx[at]

adwqojyzf[at]

aeaoyo[at]

aeondql[at]

aeusjdqm[at]

akcujges[at]

akdesujlc[at]

akzrdopxgsl[at]

Most of them seem to be coming from various yahoo servers such as mta152.mail.re3.yahoo.com [66.196.127.162].

None of these are making it through my system as I reject bad addresses at SMTP time (running Exim4). So I can't see what they're about.

Is anyone else seeing these? Should I do report the IP addresses/servers anywhere? I don't have any of the spam so there's nothing I can really reference. Or is it some spammer doesn't know how to work his software?

Hi BrandiochConner,

Doesn't look like anyone with actual experience has been around jus lately but that looks like an unusually thorough form of dictionary attack E-mail address harvesting. The sequence you have shown is not random though the "words" seem to be low probability in terms of email addresses.

In any event, you can send copies of your logs to the abuse address(es) of the provider from whence these originate, this is a recognized abuse (with even greater abuse in store once valid addresses start receiving spam or viruses, whatever. I believe Yahoo are a little difficult to contact/get through to about anything a little out of the ordinary. Chandra (member websdotcom) has kindly posted a 'phone contact elsewhere - Yahoo: 866-562-7219

Archived