My promise to spammers

craigt

My normal spam load is several thousand spams daily. I have no tolerance for the crap that you seem to think I need to receive in my inbox; however, if I'm busy and need a specific email I may delete the spam assortment that is probably with it.

Lately you seem to think that sending me spam that is over an order of magintude larger than the previous generation of 1 KB to 4 KB sized nuisances -- spam transmissions of 20 KB, 40 KB, and larger is a rediculous load on the internet backbone, my ISP's receiving system, and my mail system.

So the promise is: I will report 100% of this oversized spam and reduce your available field of spambots as more ISP's get tired of accommodating higher and higher bandwidth to support your crap and shut down access from compromised systems within their networks.

• 1 year later...
My normal spam load is several thousand spams daily.

And I get upset when I get over 25. :D

Lately you seem to think that sending me spam that is over an order of magintude larger than the previous generation of 1 KB to 4 KB sized nuisances -- spam transmissions of 20 KB, 40 KB, and larger is a rediculous load on the internet backbone, my ISP's receiving system, and my mail system.

The over-size spams are becoming more common. The 105KB spams that you mention first started to arrive here in the Spanish language with a language type header containing "es-pe". Nice and easy to filter out but lately that header has been omitted so they've been getting through to my mailbox. However I've received a few lately that have weighed in at a hefty 500KB. Not nice. Eats up my SpamCop fuel a little too quickly. :huh:

I mentioned oversized spam in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9437 - along with observation on the behavior of some spam filtering when confronted with it which is worrisome. Fortunately (touch wood) it doesn't seem very persistent in my case. Harder to hide in the routine traffic maybe (though most of that is spam anyway).

Archived