What's in SC "abuse report response center"?

rconner

(This isn't really a "need-help" sort of post, more a matter of idle curiosity, so I will post in the lounge. Yes, I searched the FAQ first, but found little of relevance.)

Recently I received a rare direct e-mail reply to a SC complaint I made. The reply was pro-forma and was of no particular interest, except that it quoted the original message that the ISP received, which contained the following link they were given in order to post a response:

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?i=z2164245983z8...5dee4d13470cd9z

Being nosy, I visited this link myself and took a look. I saw the start of the procedure for the ISP to deal with the report, but beneath it there was a long list of little messages that were apparently notes added by various ISPs to various reports. These didn't seem to have much in common (i.e., various authors from various IPs, covering apparently different spams, some mail address info, some web hosting info, etc.)

Some of the posts indicated that there were errors by the person reporting the spam. As there's no tracking link or any other identifying info in these notes (other than the IP of the author and whatever ID he felt like posting), it is hard to tell what mistake was supposedly made and who made it.

Question: what ties all these seemingly unrelated notes together? Are they all notes on spam reports that I have submitted, or on spams that this particular ISP has been cc'd on, or what? I'd kinda like to know because if indeed I am making mistakes I need to know about them.

This raises the more general question of whether it might be possible for me to see ISP responses to reports I've made. Now, I usually see nothing at all, except the 1-2x per year that some ISP provides a direct reply as this one did.

-- rick

Way, way, way back when ..... I believe when I was using a modification to this Forum app which allowed me to 'embed' a/the FAQ directly (heavy emphasis on the word "me") .... I was going to do up a FAQ entry in the ISP Response/Report Center. Confusion reigned in the 20-30 e-mails back and forth with the powers that be. All I was originally asking was for a URL to one or two various pages to grab screenshots and data from each page/sub-page. As you point out, a bit odd that you got a link and managed to get to that page, a few of those links have been posted here/newsgroups and they were accessible at the time of posting .... yet, I was getting the basic reply ... "can't give me a link" as 'I wasn't the owner/agent/whatever' for the IP address in question.

Thusly .... yet another item not addressed in the original/Official FAQ .... and the attempt to develop one 'here' dropped due to lack of support from ... well, you know ....

Yes, the notes are there from whoever responded to the SpamCop.net Report sent out. The thing that ties things together would be the IP address. The catch is that IP addresses sometimes move around, re-assigned, etc. So the catch is that some of the associative data you think you're seing may not actually be all true ....

The comments made by whomever may be valid, may be typed by an idiot, may be auto-scripted, hard to say, especially without the associated report data .. but ... what data that does exist is also used in determining those nebulous factors, reputation points, approval for direct report receipts, etc.

Those folks that 'have the power' can connect a large number of dots that aren't seen by us mere mortals, so .... what you see isn't everything .... You could ask them directly, but not sure if this would fall under 'stuff not discussed publically' or not ...

Yes, the notes are there from whoever responded to the SpamCop.net Report sent out. The thing that ties things together would be the IP address. The catch is that IP addresses sometimes move around, re-assigned, etc. So the catch is that some of the associative data you think you're seing may not actually be all true ....

Thanks, Wazoo.

If I read correctly, then, you are saying that the common thread in all these little posts is the IP address, or rather some IP address, which may have come up in SC reports at various times for various reasons, and which may have even moved from one owner to another over time. We don't really know what IP address this is, nor I suppose are we likely to find out since this may be behind the SpamCop veil of secrecy.

In short, I probably shouldn't even bother reading, since it could only confuse me -- er, make that "already has confused me."

I have to guess that it would also confuse the average ISP abuse drone, but I guess that isn't my affair. They're only supposed to deal with the top half of the page, and we could count ourselves lucky if they do so.

FWIW, the ISP whose response I received was hotpop.com, with MXs in a PSI/Cogentco block. My complaint dealt with an e--mail drop box used by a "hot job" spammer. The posts on the Response Center page seemed to come from all over -- USA, Poland, Australia, etc.

-- rick

Archived