Replica spam

Telarin

Does anyone have a good reporting address for rolex replica spam? Seems like rolex would be interested in shutting these guys down. I checked their website, and it is just a big, bandwidth sucking, flash presentation with no actual useful information. Seems like I remember someone listing an address at rolex at one point that wanted copies of these spams, but a forum search didn't turn anything up.

I can't find anything either Will - presumably they prefer to operate through their own associations, consumer protection and law enforcement groups? I note IPCyberCrime Affiliations as the sort of industry approach. The (somnolent) Yahoo Anti-Counterfeiting Group seems to set the tone of pretty much a closed shop and I guess that's indicative of their approach and not just Rolex. I think I detect a mistrust of the general public. Sheesh, there's even consumer websites dedicated to rating the relativite quality of the knock-offs so that's not too hard to understand. While the brand owners present a public face of furious condemnation of the counterfeiters they are curiously reticent in engaging that same public in their fight(s) with them. Maybe the fakes aren't all downside for the brandnames, in terms of brand recognition at least? Whatever, however they fight the counterfeiters must make sense to them and their stockholders.

Maybe the fakes aren't all downside for the brandnames, in terms of brand recognition at least? Whatever, however they fight the counterfeiters must make sense to them and their stockholders.

I think you have a good point here. I don't imagine that a crate of Panerai knockoffs (say) would really do very much damage to Panerai's sales, since its watches sell for something like 50x or more of the typical offer price of the replicas. Panerai (etc.) could actually consider this a form of free advertising. Trying to clean up this rat's nest would probably cost these firms far more than the effort would justify in terms of recovered sales. Anyway, this is sheer speculation on my part.

I once heard some scuttlebutt (third hand) from a State Department minion to the effect that the U.S. doesn't aggressively crack down on brand counterfeiting and piracy because most of this activity happens in China and we are currently trying to make-nice with the Chinese. Take that for what you will.

For some time (dating from around the IronPort acquisition), SC was sending copies of spam reports to Cyveillance (if I remember the name correctly). A lot of people denounced Cyveillance as having a less than snowy white hat, so I like many other users declined to send them copies of my reports. In any case, wasn't the idea that Cyveillance would sell this intelligence to companies to help with investigation of trademark infringements and other IP issues?

-- rick

Archived