MySQL Cluster not appropriate for mail

What does Spamcop mail use MySQL for?

When I saw the announcement of new webmail including new "ultra reliable" database powered by mysql, my ears pricked up. While it's improving, most people acknowledge mysql as only appropriate for basic, non-critical applications. I read some info and discussion at slashdot, where they pointed out that it relies on in-memory operation. It seems to be designed for high speed lookups using reads only. That is nothing like a mail system which has lots of writes as well.

Basically, I would imagine that MySQL cluster is completely the wrong choice for running a semi-critical business like spamcop mail.

If you want reliability, then a real (commercial) database with robust clustering would seem appropriate, such as Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.

In fact, I'm a bit alarmed to learn that spamcop mail depends on MySQL at all. I guess it works, but that's not the level of reliability I want in a mail system.

Perhaps though, MySQL is only being used for account info - if that's true I suppose it's fine. But I can't imagine much need for clustering then as it wouldn't be doing much.

Over 24 hours without a response, so here I go again ....

Wow! What a 'nice' first post. ????

What does Spamcop mail use MySQL for?

Configuration of the various system parts is hardly something normally discussed like this. If you really 'need' to know, you could start with the Horde/IMP FAQ, links provided on the SpamCop FAQ found at the top of this very page.

When I saw the announcement of new webmail including new "ultra reliable" database powered by mysql, my ears pricked up. While it's improving, most people acknowledge mysql as only appropriate for basic, non-critical applications. I read some info and discussion at slashdot, where they pointed out that it relies on in-memory operation. It seems to be designed for high speed lookups using reads only. That is nothing like a mail system which has lots of writes as well.

Yeah, whatever .... that it happens to be among (if not) the most used applications found "on the net" is probably a simple fluke ....???

Basically, I would imagine that MySQL cluster is completely the wrong choice for running a semi-critical business like spamcop mail.

OK .. I'm sure that the guy that's been running that stuff for the last half-dozen years would appreciate knowing that. And the fact that SpamCop.net e-mail accounts are but a small portion of his real business is also a factoid that means little in this dialog.

I'd rather suggest that you really don't have a clue what's being discussed, how the system in question is actually configured, perhaps what a "MySQL Cluster" is actually all about .. but that's just me ....

Of course, I'm still wondering where the "announcement of a 'new' webmail" product might be ... surely you're not talking about the one from back in August of last year?

OK, research seems to point back to the September announcement/Discussion .. However, that discussion also ended up with the fact that the roll-out of the 'new' system did not fly, thus everything got rolled back. Since that time, there have been more servers added to the mix, other software upgrades, etc. .... but I don't see the cause for all of your excitement here.

If you want reliability, then a real (commercial) database with robust clustering would seem appropriate, such as Oracle, DB2, SQL Server, etc.

In fact, I'm a bit alarmed to learn that spamcop mail depends on MySQL at all. I guess it works, but that's not the level of reliability I want in a mail system.

Perhaps though, MySQL is only being used for account info - if that's true I suppose it's fine. But I can't imagine much need for clustering then as it wouldn't be doing much.

Again, I'm not sure where you want this to go / end up.

Let's start with the cost .. $30/year U.S. would seem to be a bargain just for the account itself. That it comes with adjustable user-controlled filtering and a Reporting account is simply wierd ... on the flip side, based on the charges placed by other web-mail providers, someone is simply not getting rich here ...

And having had the joy of supporting and developing Oracle, DB2 stuff over the years, I'm not all that bamboozled by the hype. When 'stuff happens' it's still just as much of a mess to recover from .... Not sure if I could convince myself to go near an 'SQL server' at all ....

That said, my guilt at a "query with no response" here has been assuaged ... sorry if it doesn't make you happy. But again, especially for the 'first' post, the tone was set by the commentary offered ...

You sound like one of those paid bloggers that spread FUD about FOSS software...

MySQL is an open source database that is completely capable of handling email transactions for thousands of clients without clustering. Clustering adds increased load carrying and reliability. It has been used as the backend on multiple email systems and in a large number of mission critical systems. Their client list is the same as the commercial offerings. I've used it myself and have been very satisfied with its performance.

Archived