Need Help

cm23

I receive a bunch of spam e-mails from certain individuals for MLM type programs. I always use the spam reporting e-mail of the particular MLM program, but a lot of them don't take action against the offending spammer and they are allowed to continue on.

What can I do as recourse to the MLM company that doesn't take action and basically ignores all spam reports?

How do I go about getting the MLM company website shutdown? This may seem drastic, but it is really bad and I am fed up with it.

What can I do as recourse to the MLM company that doesn't take action and basically ignores all spam reports?

How do I go about getting the MLM company website shutdown? This may seem drastic, but it is really bad and I am fed up with it.

Report them to knujon (www.knujon.com). Spamcop provides the list of IPs that are spewing spam. If you want the spammy websites to be shutdown, knujon is probably the way to go. I have had positive results with them.

I always use the spam reporting e-mail of the particular MLM program, but a lot of them don't take action against the offending spammer and they are allowed to continue on.

When you say you 'always use the spam reporting email of the particular MLM program', do you mean that you 'block' that email address in your email software program (like Outlook Express)? If so, that will not stop the spam from coming to you because the spammers continually change the email address.

If you are reporting them on your own to the owner of the email address in the From:, again no action will be taken by the owner because the email addresses in the From are almost always forged.

If you are reporting on your own an email address within the spam, then you are right the owners don't care or want more proof than you are giving them.

Many people want to shut websites down. There are several topics here that discuss this. You might try searching on Knujon to see what people have to say about this site.

IMHO, it is a waste of time to try to shut down spamvertized websites. I am an advocate of using an email service provider who uses blocklists and content filters (one that tells you that they are doing so).

I receive a bunch of spam e-mails from certain individuals for MLM type programs.

spam is the trademarked Hormel meat product; lower case spam are unsolicited emails. Hormel needs to protect its trademark and has been a good sport about the use of the word 'spam' to describe unsolicited email. Please use the words correctly.

Miss Betsy

I always use the spam reporting e-mail of the particular MLM program, ...

Compounded by the query/threat about 'doing something else' .. I don't read this as having anything to do with the SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system. Relocating to the lounge with this post.

I am an advocate of using an email service provider who uses blocklists and content filters (one that tells you that they are doing so).

An email service provider should also give users access to the filters that affect their account, so they can apply whitelists as needed. As an example, I am currently looking for a new domain server (will probably go with pair.net) because GoDaddy DOES NOT allow its customers to apply their own whitelists to incoming email, and its spam filters block legitimate email.

I first discovered this problem because I WAS subscribed to a medical support mailing list, but GoDaddy decided that the list was spam, and blocked all email from it. When I attempted to resolve the problem with them, they told me that their spam filter system DOES NOT allow users to set up whitelists for their own domains, or to opt out or modify their filters in any other way, and that if the filters declare something is spam, then it's spam, regardless of what the user may want.

The reason I'm probably going with pair.net is that Pair uses SpamAssassin for spam filtering, and gives all domains shell access, so customers can modify their own SpamAssassin settings to their hearts' content.

its spam filters block legitimate email.

ALL spam filters will block some legitimate mail.

If there is any blocking, somebody's email will get blocked. It is just a fact of life. If someone tells you differently, they are lying. You are looking for more control over your email filtering.

That is why I use SpamCop for my personal mail (all held mail diverted but under my control) and blocklists at work (all blocked mail returned to the sender to figure out how to re-deliver).

ALL spam filters will block some legitimate mail.

If there is any blocking, somebody's email will get blocked. It is just a fact of life. If someone tells you differently, they are lying. You are looking for more control over your email filtering.

That is why I use SpamCop for my personal mail (all held mail diverted but under my control) and blocklists at work (all blocked mail returned to the sender to figure out how to re-deliver).

Oh, I KNOW that legitimate email will get blocked. But when the service provider REFUSES to allow their customers to have control over their own filtering, the service provider becomes as much a problem as the spammers.

Oh, I KNOW that legitimate email will get blocked. But when the service provider REFUSES to allow their customers to have control over their own filtering, the service provider becomes as much a problem as the spammers.

Absolutely!! Some day end users are going to have to wake up to the fact that the techies don't know everything and make good consumer decisions about what service to buy. If they understood about blocking at the server with a message, they would choose blocking rather than filtering because only the *sender* can do anything about stopping spam.

Miss Betsy

Archived