Verizon's spam filtering

rconner

Earlier in the spring, my personal spam load suddenly shot up to as much as 200 per day, which for me is very high. I was very annoyed, and found myself barely able to keep up reporting even using QuickReports.

Most of this extra excrement was drug spam from Yambo et. al.

Just for grins, I decided to turn on Verizon's spam filters (which I had previously turned off some years ago). I found that the spam dropped like a lead-covered rock down to no more than 10 per day. Apparently Verizon is using an RBL (don't know whose), which obviously works very well. Verizon says that they save this in a spam folder on their servers for my inspection, but as far as I can tell they really just /dev/null it since I can't find it anywhere.

So, now I am a happier camper. I only wish that Verizon would actually reject this stuff at SMTP level, which their RBL would certainly allow them to do, rather than allowing spammy the comforable fiction that he'd made any deliveries.

On the other hand, it might be very difficult for VZ to reject mail on a per-user basis (i.e., the MX has to look up a profile setting based on the RCPT-TO address, then check the RBL, etc. all of which would take a lot of CPU time).

-- rick

...I only wish that Verizon would actually reject this stuff at SMTP level, which their RBL would certainly allow them to do, rather than allowing spammy the comforable fiction that he'd made any deliveries.
Well, if the report Verizon Deploys 'Certified Email' is correct then turning it off is the last thing they would be doing :D. Well, why should spammers make all the money? Good old Yankee commercial acumen to the fore once more. Not to worry, For security purposes, Verizon may monitor use and act as necessary to prevent, investigate and prosecute misuse or fraud.

Archived