forwarding as attachment, OL2000, pdf spam

cisxadmin

...But that doesn't stop me from successfully submitting about 99.999999% of the spam I receive in my Exchange account through Outlook (either via e-mail as an attachment or using the SpamCop two-part web form).

...Yes, exactly!

...However, I don't know what an "'exchange version' ... of outlook" is, either. Outlook is a client tool that (among other things) allows one to access e-mail stored on a Microsoft Exchange Server.

You seem to be deliberately oblique.

'Internet Mode Only' or 'Corporate' mode - this sheds no light on the ability to submit spam reports.

You seem to be deliberately oblique.

'Internet Mode Only' or 'Corporate' mode - this sheds no light on the ability to submit spam reports.

...No, I am not. Sorry if it appears that way -- please let me know what I wrote that makes you say that.

...As far as I know, what mode you have has no impact on the ability to submit spam. I, personally, seem to have what Wazoo described as "Corporate Mode," so that is the only one about which I can convey experience.

...You asked:

turetzsr , do you mean that an 'exchange version' (what ever that is) of outlook can forward as an attachment email for submittal to spamcop in the 'correct' way?
My answer was and still is:
Yes, exactly!
...Please let me know what, if any, additional information you would like to reduce the "oblique"ness and I'll be happy to provide it, if I am able.

...No, I am not. Sorry if it appears that way -- please let me know what I wrote that makes you say that.

...As far as I know, what mode you have has no impact on the ability to submit spam. I, personally, seem to have what Wazoo described as "Corporate Mode," so that is the only one about which I can convey experience.

...You asked:My answer was and still is:...Please let me know what, if any, additional information you would like to reduce the "oblique"ness and I'll be happy to provide it, if I am able.

It seems that I am incorporate mode too..it seems your claims are bombastic as you do not provide qualifying statements/previsos. You also fail to support your claims when specifically asked for information. Apologies noted. Moving on now...Thanks

<snip>

it seems your claims are bombastic as you do not provide qualifying statements/previsos. You also fail to support your claims when specifically asked for information.

<snip>

...Are we participating in the same discussion? I made no claim, bombastic or otherwise. I have only conveyed my experience. I do not see where you have asked me for any specific information -- the only question from you to me that I see is: "turetzsr , do you mean that an 'exchange version' (what ever that is) of outlook can forward as an attachment email for submittal to spamcop in the 'correct' way?" (linear post #23) and I answered that yes/no question in the affirmative, based entirely on my experience. If you find my replies bombastic and a failure to support some alleged claim I am making, then my understanding of the language and ability to communicate has entirely failed me.

...If anyone else is able to clarify what cisxadmin is saying in terms even I can understand, I would be most grateful.

...If anyone else is able to clarify what cisxadmin is saying in terms even I can understand, I would be most grateful.
I guess this came across as dismissive/unhelpful:
<snip>

[at]turetzsr

Surely your Outlook optimises the headers of any emails sent as attachments? Outlook version?

...Dunno and don't care, since I am able to submit and the SpamCop parser seems to do its thing. :) <g>

FWIW, using Outlook 2003 at work I am unable to forward headers (and don't use it at home). I can pull them up with the "Options" selection for copy and paste and/or the little "Abuse! reporter" utility (mentioned in Suggested Tools and Applications) I use there (for direct LARTing) passes them on with no drama (using its own SMTP engine, dunno how it sneaks through port 25 blocking but I'm not about to ask, there don't seem to be any outwards spam doing the same).

I've recently switched my work mail handling to go through an edge server so as to access corporate NIS (which gives me more options for the handling of spam) which I only stumbled across when trying to access said options. A handy little dialog popped up which advises on some parameter changes, carry those out and it was done. Not sure if I had the "forward as attachment" facility before that and I haven't been able to find those parameters since :( . The Outlook installation was set up originally as "stand-alone" (my PC was hooked into the corporate net long after initial configuration/loading and retained its stand-alone NAV but no NIS, when trying to use NIS it used to say "get lost - or use this handy little dialog").

So, I tried - but failed - to find something useful to bring to the earlier discussion. Unless my experience/ramblings trigger some glint of recognition in another user and it happens to be relevant and they know much more about what goes on "under the hood" of Outlook than either I or Steve T know. And if cisxadmin is still looking "here" (well, resolution would undoubtedly benefit other users in any event).

Steve (another one)

I guess this came across as dismissive/unhelpful:
<snip>

[at]turetzsr

Surely your Outlook optimises the headers of any emails sent as attachments? Outlook version?

...Dunno and don't care, since I am able to submit and the SpamCop parser seems to do its thing. :) <g>
...Well, I can certainly see how that could be taken as dismissive and unhelpful (although, I assure everyone, that wasn't my intent: I was just admitting my ignorance in what I hoped was a witty manner while noting that since spam generally parses successfully for me, what Outlook does or does not do with the headers makes no difference, in my case). However, cisxadmin did not accuse me of being dismissive or unhelpful, just bombastic and unwilling to support my claims. To which I repeat, I do not understand what claim I made (other than that the SpamCop parser is successfully parsing the spam I submit [via e-mail, as attachments], which I don't see as requiring support but could and would, if asked, which I don't see that I was).

Steve, IMHO, you are having the same problem as Wazoo does. There was no way to answer the OP's questions without additional information about how he was using Outlook. The OP doesn't understand the necessity for additional information, doesn't know how to find it if he did, and only wants a 'simple answer' that fixes his problem. As long as there is no 'fix' anything that is said is seen as 'oblique' (read 'obscure' maybe because of technical non-fluence) ''dismissive' and 'unhelpful'

It's happened to me before - particularly if I have posted in 'colloquial' style as though I were having a conversation as you did with your 'witty' remark. What I thought was a 'friendly' post is seen as obstructing any help and attacking the person.

It happens offline also. Just recently, I offered help (in an area where I have very basic knowledge so I couldn't be decisive) to someone who had mistaken the instructions and had not done any of the things suggested earlier to fix her problem. She then told my supervisor that I had been rude and unhelpful. The fact that it was after hours and I didn't have to respond or do anything to help her was only icing on the cake. I couldn't fix her problem, but I suggested ways that she could pursue to try and fix it which she said was 'dragging her around' as I looked for information that she could ask about when the office re-opened. I thought I was being friendly and obviously going out of my way to be helpful.

Miss Betsy

<snip>

It happens offline also. Just recently, I offered help (in an area where I have very basic knowledge so I couldn't be decisive) to someone who had mistaken the instructions and had not done any of the things suggested earlier to fix her problem. She then told my supervisor that I had been rude and unhelpful. The fact that it was after hours and I didn't have to respond or do anything to help her was only icing on the cake. I couldn't fix her problem, but I suggested ways that she could pursue to try and fix it which she said was 'dragging her around' as I looked for information that she could ask about when the office re-opened. I thought I was being friendly and obviously going out of my way to be helpful.

Miss Betsy

...Another example of the truism that "no good deed goes unpunished." :) <g> Yes, I've been there (offline), too! :( <frown>

... I was just admitting my ignorance in what I hoped was a witty manner while noting that since spam generally parses successfully for me, what Outlook does or does not do with the headers makes no difference, in my case). ...
Yeah, I know - just the only thing I could see that anyone could possibly misinterpret or misconstrue - if they would rather get upset than resolve the issue.

Getting back to Outlook - I note this old topic: Forwarding As Attachment in Outlook 2003, Feature seems to have disappeared in which the final post seems to detail the magical steps. I do seem to recall another, subsequent, topic which said that doesn't work. With different "editions" of Outlook 2003 that may or may not be relevant, even if I am recalling that subsequent comment correctly. Haven't rechecked the FAQs but I will try out the options suggested in the above topic when I get back to the office. But the OP was using Outlook 2000. That was supposed to be "easier". Oh well ...

Archived