Spam Blocking

Hello,

The Background

I am a newbie to the world of email blocking. I work for a small company of 22 users and we were receiving only about 100-200 junk emails a day ... for us, this represents about 50% of our email.

We are using Norton Antivirus for SMTP Gateways, and just this week began using the blocking feature with SpamCop ... and I love it. It is grabbing about 90% of our spam.

The Problem

We have our own mail domain name and email server (Exchange 2003); it is hosted by Road Runner. Today I set up our primary Road Runner account to forward any email (directed to the Road Runner account) to be delivered to the administrator account at our domian.

I sent an email to our Road Runner account to see if would be forwarded properly, and the item was marked as spam and dropped. I am not sure why an email being sent from my domain, to an external address (Road Runner), then being routed back to our domain would be identified as spam.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I sent an email to our Road Runner account to see if would be forwarded properly, and the item was marked as spam and dropped.  I am not sure why an email being sent from my domain, to an external address (Road Runner), then being routed back to our domain would be identified as spam.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

No one will be able to help unless you help a little and give us an IP to research :huh:

We have our own mail domain name and email server Our IP is 24.97.243.242

Query bl.spamcop.net - 24.97.243.242

24.97.243.242 is rrcs-nys-24-97-243-242.biz.rr.com

24.97.243.242 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

SpamCop has no record of this system

May or may not have any bearing on things. However, if the above IP is your e-mail server, then there just might be an issue of the "recently disovered sending mail" scenario. There's normally a period of "probation" on a new e-mail source (though not familiar with the automatically calling it spam relationship .. would like to see what evidence may exist to explain why said e-mail was dropped, but ...)

Way back in the back of my mind, there was a reference from "Don" a long time ago, about dropping him a note (service at admin.spamcop.net) so that he could massage the database into clearing that probationary period a lot sooner. Again, this may just be a peripheral issue, but .... ?? As Merlyn has stated, without knowing the actual path of the referenced e-mail, we're all kind of in the dark here to try to give you a specific justification.

Archived