can spam from whitelisted sender still be filtered?

apologies for the typo in the "title".... can't seem to edit that...

I think I understand the general rule that mail from a "whitelisted" address is always passed on...

but I'm getting a steady flow of spam "from" whitelisted addresses with very high scores from spam assassin. (IE where a spammer has used/guessed a "from" address I have whitelisted, or has used my address as the "from" address)

EG http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1501634654z2...ddfbe73dbea180z

says:

<snip>

X-SpamCop-Checked:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=36

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: x

so I still get the mail..

Is it possible to set a "max" threshold for spam assassin (say 30 ?)

IE so that mail with scores "above" this will still be moved to held mail

regardless of whitelist settings?

If any of my genuine whitelisted correspondents can trigger that sort

of spam assassin score in a "real" email it deserves to be blocked :^)

I appreciate this may not be terchnically possible if the whitelist check is done before anything else, but the fact that the message includes the spamassassion "info" along with the "whitelist" info gives me hope that the two bits of data can be used together!!

thanks for a great tool .. I haven't seen a virus email for 3 years and I know you catch about 150+ spam a day for me - so this is no big deal... just thought I'd ask...

cheers

brad

apologies for the typo in the "title".... can't seem to edit that...

fixed for you

I think I understand the general rule that mail from a "whitelisted" address is always passed on...

I appreciate this may not be terchnically possible if the whitelist check is done before anything else

You've pretty much defined the answer ... whitelisting is doing what you've asked it to do, bypass all the filtering actions.

And I'll ask .. have you checked the Announcements section and/or the Forum FAQ as far as using your e-mail address for a 'name' in here?

>fixed for you

thanks

>You've pretty much defined the answer ... whitelisting is doing what you've asked it to do, bypass all the >filtering actions.

yeah I thought as much.. just hoping there was a way to over ride whitelist for extremely spammy stuff

>And I'll ask .. have you checked the Announcements section and/or the Forum FAQ as far as using >your e-mail address for a 'name' in here?

my apologies... I can't see how to edit that in "my controls"? If I've stuffed that up please delete my forum account and I'll register again paying more attention to the text users see as "my name"

<snip>

And I'll ask .. have you checked the Announcements section and/or the Forum FAQ as far as using your e-mail address for a 'name' in here?
my apologies... I can't see how to edit that in "my controls"? If I've stuffed that up please delete my forum account and I'll register again paying more attention to the text users see as "my name"
...Nope, it's not in "my controls." Please have a look at the section labeled "Helpful tips & guidelines when sending PM for Name Change:" in http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...amp;#entry29130.

...Good luck (and welcome)!

but I'm getting a steady flow of spam "from" whitelisted addresses with very high scores from spam assassin. (IE where a spammer has used/guessed a "from" address I have whitelisted, or has used my address as the "from" address)

Just remove the whitelisted address

If the emailers sender is competent it should not get caught by SpamCop emails filters and turn greylisting on Whitelisting also avoids greylisting and goes straight to inbox

(Spammers often do not use a mail server, which greylisting sends them to a bitbin and slows their attempts at sending spam as it causes their spam programs to hang)

I also get the odd spammer using a domain I whitelist It is easily identified by me and moved to held folder as spam (using IMAP). I then do a thourough spam report, tracking websites, even if redirected for reporting (seems to hurt spammers because they quickly leave me alone?)

Archived