New User and new to running an email system

BlaininMain

I had a user that was assigned a forwarding email at out web site who then began to receive spam email

The email was addressed to someone else at the site, but delivered to address was not the same as the sent to address

Delivered-To: harold[at]ptd.net

To: <dean[at]vmoc.net>

Any ideas on where I may find help on this topic?

I had a user that was assigned a forwarding email at out web site

Not sure at all what that's supposed to mean ... problem being that 'forwarding' can be defined in so many different ways.

who then began to receive spam email

See, if all this user/acciunt was to do was to forward this user's e-mail somewhere else, it's a bit difficult then how to tie that action to 'receiving spam' ....

The email was addressed to someone else at the site, but delivered to address was not the same as the sent to address

If you are 'running' the e-mail system, what access to log files do you have?

In your example, the first 'easy' thought is the simple use of a BCC: address in the address lines. But, this is all complicated by not knowing just what you might mean by "assigned a forwarding e-mail" .... Using one definition, one could also guess there that the code involved in doing the forwarding is screwed up, perhaps a database is hosed ...?????

Not enough information provided for me ......

I had a user that was assigned a forwarding email at out web site who then began to receive spam email

I'll second Wazoo that I don't have enough info here to get at the problem (if there is one). However, I can point out that the "To:" address is easily forged by spammers -- that is, you can get a spam mail in your inbox even though it does not appear to be addressed to you. The "real" to-address is found inside the header. We would need to see the detailed SMTP header of this message to have much more to say about it. If you have any further details on this message, then post a reply and someone can tell you how to post them for us.

-- rick

It could have been in the bcc and that is why it was forwarded

It could have been in the bcc and that is why it was forwarded

Yep, my initial suggested thought, with commentary ....;

In your example, the first 'easy' thought is the simple use of a BCC: address in the address lines. But, this is all complicated by not knowing just what you might mean by "assigned a forwarding e-mail"

We are defintiely being held hostage here due to the lack of follow-up/feedback from the Topic-starter.

Archived