Reporting Spam being rejected

turoar

When I try to report spam (there is heaps of it at the moment) I get a message back saying it is unsuccessful possibly due to a firewall. I don't want to remove firewalls to allow other rubbish in - any help here? :(
That is when you submit by email? Standard or quick reporting? Can't recall seeing one of those messages - can you post it and say where it came from? What email application do you use (if that's involved)? What firewall? What other local protection (router-NAT maybe)? Just in case no-one's around who knows exactly what it is all about and what might be a reasonable fix.

That is when you submit by email? Standard or quick reporting? Can't recall seeing one of those messages - can you post it and say where it came from? What email application do you use (if that's involved)? What firewall? What other local protection (router-NAT maybe)? Just in case no-one's around who knows exactly what it is all about and what might be a reasonable fix.

Thanks for your reply.

This happens when I tick SpamCop report within Mailwasher, before allowing mail into my "Inbox".

I cannot give you the details until it happens again, as it flashes a message saying unable to report..........

I use Mailwasher before going to Outlook Express. I don't know which firewall it is referring to. Will paste the message I get here when I get the next one. In the last 24 hours have had 66 emails, of which 56 were spam grrrr.

Just got one of those messages -

! Global SMTP Server SpamCop Reporting Connection timed out (possibly caused by a firewall)

This is all the information I can get from it.

Okay, thanks for that - it should help lay out the situation for MailWasher users to take up the issue. On a quick search, I could not find anything vaguely like this that was ever resolved. Mind you, for a while there when ISPs told us they didn't block anything we believed them. Anyway, one of the previous discussions which might suggest a few things to try while we wait for some informed comment:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4798

Apart from that - for the attention of MailWasher users and others having knowledge HELP!

Okay, thanks for that - it should help lay out the situation for MailWasher users to take up the issue. On a quick search, I could not find anything vaguely like this that was ever resolved. Mind you, for a while there when ISPs told us they didn't block anything we believed them. Anyway, one of the previous discussions which might suggest a few things to try while we wait for some informed comment:

Apart from that - for the attention of MailWasher users and others having knowledge HELP!

This has helped me think a little broader - thanks. Will try not checking the bounce box next time I report - would you know, haven't had any spam since reading your message to try it on - they have gone quiet (thank goodness) Will let you know when one appears.

Got a spam and did not check the bounce box, but checked the report to SpamCop one and it did the same thing with the same message, so no success with that. Seems the only way I can report them to SpamCop is to let them come into my email then forward to SpamCop. Mailwasher isn't doing it's job I'm afraid.

Thanks turoar. Not a MailWasher user so I may be misinterpreting what you mean by Will try not checking the bounce box next time I report... so the following may be wide of the mark.

If you were previously using MailWasher's bounce feature to send rejection messages to the (almost invariably) forged from:/reply to: addresses in spam it could be your ISP has found a way to detect anything from MW and block it. If so, you could venture forth with a tearful eye and a pitiful look, promise in all faith, ernestly and most abjectly, to sin no more and entreat hir in the name of all humanity to stop doing that to you. Or, it may not be personal, ISP may have decided to universally block anything outwards with a MW footprint due to the colateral damage its operation does in the bounce mode. I think I heard that 'bounce' was (still) a default handler? Just maybe your ISP can whitelist your account even if a 'universal' blocking rule applies.

Lots of conjecture in there - it would be fascinating to find out just what the actual problem is, whether the guesswork even comes close.

Thanks for your help, maybe I just should forget about it and just delete these problem messages before they get to my mailbox - guess that is better than receiving a virus. Was really only trying to give them the message to buzz off, get a life and use their time in a more constructive way for the benefit of the world. Perhaps I was a bit too optomistic. At least by just deleting in Mailwasher they don't get any further. Thanks again.

Thanks for your help, maybe I just should forget about it and just delete these problem messages before they get to my mailbox - guess that is better than receiving a virus. Was really only trying to give them the message to buzz off, get a life and use their time in a more constructive way for the benefit of the world. Perhaps I was a bit too optomistic. At least by just deleting in Mailwasher they don't get any further. Thanks again.
You're welcome, but worth persevering IMO.

Trouble is, the spammers have been a step ahead of you - they use innocent people's email addresses forged as the sender (or reply-to), your own address can/will even turm up from time to time. (Viruses are still sent by email but not a huge problem usually - most of the unsolicited stuff is "just" commercial sleaze).

SpamCop, on the other hand, determines the actual origin of the spam and offers responsible admins there a chance to do something about it (the trail often leading to some hapless home user's trojaned PC and who needs to know to get help). Or, if there is enough reported spam relative to real mail, SC will temporarily blocklist the offending IP address and networks and individual users (like you) then have the ability to block mail from that source from reaching your Intray, using the list.

So, retaining/restoring the ability to report the stuff does some real good. Even more than than you were hoping for by using the bounces. If you have the chance to follow through ... take it, is my suggestion.

Thanks for your encouragement, am now reporting to SpamCop by forwarding the message straight from Mailwasher in the quick reply section - that way I know it gets there. Some new ones coming in today, so maybe the previous ones have been blocked or have given up. Thanks again. :)

Archived