Send complains about email-addresses in spam body

ClayRabbit

We are receiveing many spam messages sended via korean/сhinese proxies (or computers infected with trojans) that contains no website links but only email-address for contacting advertizer.

Reporting such messages via spamcop is almost useless - spammer/advertizer woldn't be punished.

I think, it's could be a good feature - finding email-links in message body and sending complains to corresponding abuse-department.

What is your opinion about that?

We are receiveing many spam messages sended via korean/сhinese proxies (or computers infected with trojans) that contains no website links but only email-address for contacting advertizer.

Reporting such messages via spamcop is almost useless - spammer/advertizer woldn't be punished.

I think, it's could be a good feature - finding email-links in message body and sending complains to corresponding abuse-department.

What is your opinion about that?

The parser used to find email addresses in message bodies but Julian discontinued it because it was generating too many false spam reports. ISTR they were mostly email addresses contained in bogus 'removal' links.

If you're a paying user you can send reports to the responsible abuse department by adding them to the 'additional recipients' box.

And, of course, there's nothing to stop you from doing your own research and reporting those addresses yourself. But it's also the question of who do you trust, do you want to spend the time, and what's the likelyhood of actually seeing something done about the comlaint ... Some hosts may act promptly, based on your offered evidence (the spam) ... others might just tend to tick you off more .. like the infamous HotMial bots that will repeatedly tell you that "it didn't originate from here" even though that's not what you were complaining about ... lots of judgement calls there, and as Spambo pointed out, Julian made his a long time back <g>

The only email addresses that I report are the ones that are the only way to contact the author of the spam (usually, but not always Nigerian scams). Although hotmail bots can be annoying, eventually one can get through to them. Yahoo is usually prompt. And there have a few others that have said that the problem had been taken care of (or that that email address had already been reported).

The problem Julian faced was that the software couldn't tell what the email addresses were for. Obviously there is no sense in reporting ones that are buried in unsubscribes, etc. But if you want to report the obvious ones where the spammer is expecting replies, it is a good idea. I always say, "Please cancel this account to protect the gullible."

Miss Betsy

Archived