Double spacing in forwarded spam

mikeyj23

I've recently tried reporting spam by emailing the messages as attachments to my [at]spam.spamcop.net address. When I get the return email with the links for reporting, they say:

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

No tracking information found in header:

Return-Path: <spamfromaddress[at]spam.com>

Probably not full headers - see FAQ:

Email software FAQ

no header

When I look at the attachment I sent, it has the full headers and full message, but it's effectively double spaced - an extra line put in between each line of the header/mail. I think this is causing spamcop to not see headers - to test this I copied the doublespaced version of the attachment and manually put it in at the spamcop website, and it told me the same thing (no headers), then I put it again in the spamcop site and deleted the extra lines and it worked perfectly.

Is there any workaround for the doublespacing problem? It would be a lot easier to forward spam all at once than to find the full source and copy and paste each message individually.

When I look at the attachment I sent, it has the full headers and full message, but it's effectively double spaced - an extra line put in between each line of the header/mail. I think this is causing spamcop to not see headers

That will do it because the first blank line indicates the end of the headers. I have seen the spamcop webmail client do this from time to time, but I just used it a couple hours ago with no problem.

I'm using my school's webmail service - looks to be Imp H3 (4.0.4)

Which may be the key. As I mentioned, SpamCop's webmail (also IMP) has done this in the past and been fixed by JT and company after each upgrade. You can try to email support[at]spamcop.net and ask them what needed to be done. This might require the administrator to make some major changes, though.

Looks to me like a botched end-of-line conversion of some sort. Each line is terminated by LFLF rather than CRLF as required by SMTP. That is, if I can trust what I downloaded from the SpamCop window.

Hard to figure a message being successfully delivered to you in this condition, so my money’s on something having happened to it immediately before SpamCop got it (i.e., on your outgoing mail host?).

-- rick

Archived