Nigerian-scam "little fish" hooked in WA

rconner

"... All told, Fiedler sent out US$609,000 worth of phony checks and money orders. When U.S. Secret Service agents investigating the case searched Fiedler's house, they found additional fake checks worth more than $1.1 million that she was preparing to send out."

(...)

"The U.S. Postal Service recently sent 15 postal investigators to Lagos, Nigeria, and during a three-month period there, they helped intercept counterfeit checks, lottery tickets and eBay overpayment schemes with a face value of $2.1 billion, Chris Siouris, a cyber investigator at the U.S. Postal Inspector, said at the recent conference. Siouris, McKenna and others are pushing for ways to better educate Internet users so that people don't unwittingly help out in these kinds of e-mail scams."

(Yahoo posting)

-- rick

last time some Nigerian paper pusher tried to get me to do one of these checking cashing scams (the one where they send you a bogus check, you cash it, keep 10% and send them 90%, then get left holding the bag when it bounces)...

I gave them my name as "Mr. Gunar B. DePhrauded" and address of the local Secret Service office. Then actually send me a fedex tracking number, and I could check and see when the Mail room at the S.S. signed for it.

Then when the Nigerian IM'd and asked me to send him his money, I told him... "I'm gonna cash the check and keep it all... HAHAHAHA"

The Nigerian then told me he had people here in the US who will come to my address (which is the Secret Service Office, remember?) and beat me...

I told him, I'll be the tall guy in a dark suit, and sunglasses.....

I got at lot less IM SPIM from Nigerians after that for a few weeks. I think I was blacklisted.. that is one of the few times I really got the sense that the scammer was either really angry, or really in trouble with someone higher up in the gang.... Maybe they gave him a tire necklace....

Then when the Nigerian IM'd and asked me to send him his money, I told him... "I'm gonna cash the check and keep it all... HAHAHAHA"
Cute! The onlly thing that would've made it better is if the check had actually been worth any more than the equivalent quantity of used toilet paper.

-- rick

Cute! The onlly thing that would've made it better is if the check had actually been worth any more than the equivalent quantity of used toilet paper.

I'm sure the forgery dept at the Secret Service found some value in the check... they like to get stuff like that, especially since it had only been handled by the Nigerian... with the fedex package they should even be able to track where it was mailed from.

Archived