When you click on that link ...

Farelf

Referring particularly to a blog spam link but it could be any 'infector' site, spamvertized in any medium:

Anatomy of a malware scam (The Register) (and the following 7 pages).

Conclusion

This type of malware is very, very disturbing. One can only wonder how many users have been duped into installing ineffective security software, and what happened to their private information and credit card data when they paid for it. The presence of such software, and the overall very high quality of the ruse it presents, is frightening. More than likely, thousands of people have been fooled. In fact, this type of deception has been around for several years now, and it would not still be here if it did not work well.

Thanks to 'Randy Knobloch' at grc.spyware for the lead.

Referring particularly to a blog spam link but it could be any 'infector' site, spamvertized in any medium:
Very interesting. I was getting heavily spammed on my infant blog (which I also set to 100% moderation), and a lot of the spam seemed to pertain to anti-virus this-or-that. I assumed that it was a scam, but it was edifying to see someone trace one of these down.

-- rick

Archived