expired domain name

garydaw

Got an unsollicited phone call that made me suspicious.

Thing is they gave me a website address and when I typed it in it did work -but with a redirect,

A little more research and I find out that the url he gave me expired in May.

So how can an expired domain be still used to redirect to another website address?

And does it indicate dishonesty and subterfuge?

So how can an expired domain be still used to redirect to another website address?

I couldn't say about dishonesty or subterfuge... Some registrars do not immediately disable an 'expired' domain. Indeed most registrars have some form of late renewal process so a domain may be kept live for six or seven months.

That said, would you do business with someone who cannot get around to paying their bills within a month of them coming due? ;)

Andrew

Got an unsollicited phone call that made me suspicious.

Thing is they gave me a website address and when I typed it in it did work -but with a redirect,

A little more research and I find out that the url he gave me expired in May.

I have often seen domains lapse and then be "parked" by a registrar, displaying random (or possibly related) advertising messages. Sometimes you will see a "this domain is for sale" message as well. So, obviously, the expiration of a registration does not necessarily spell the end of the domain's usefulness. I'm guessing that the registrar who last sold the domain will actually renew the domain in its own name, or maybe speculators might also be involved here as well. There is a pretty brisk trade in recently-expired domains.

If you can put up a "normal" web page full of ads on an expired domain, you could certainly also put up a redirect.

-- rick

Archived