confused isp

has anyone else ever had a response like this?

--- support[at]copper.net wrote:

To: <xxx[at]copper.net>

Subject: Re: mail rejection error

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:03:29 -0800

Honored Customer,

Spamcop addresses cannot be replied to. They are exclusively outgoing boxes.

Thank you and I hope you are having a great day!!

Jo, 104

Customer Support

Copper.net

Hours of Call Center Operation (EST):

M - F: 7:30 AM - 12 midnight

Sat: 8 AM - 6 PM

Sun: 1 PM - 7 PM

Terms of Service: http://www.copper.net/TOS

--- xxx[at]copper.net wrote:

To: <support[at]copper.net>

Subject: mail rejection error

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:19:55 -0800

Why am I not able to send mail to xxx[at]spamcop.net? See the attached screenshot.

Thanks,

Chris.

Don't use it, others may have similar stories. Sounds like they are confusing the mail accounts with something else. Point them to http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/289.html and/or the output from http://hexillion.com/asp/samples/ValidateEmail.asp with your address, "require MX records" and "test for catch-all" checked.
Results

confidence rating: 3 - SMTP what this means

error: None

Address parts

local part: you

domain: spamcop.net

extra text:

MX records

preference exchange IP address (if included)

5 mx.spamcop.net [64.88.168.74]

10 mx2.spamcop.net [64.88.168.70]

SMTP session

[Contacting mx.spamcop.net [64.88.168.74]...]

[Connected]

220 mxin1.cesmail.net ESMTP

EHLO hexillion.com

250-mxin1.cesmail.net

250-PIPELINING

250-8BITMIME

250 SIZE 0

NOOP *** See <http://www.hexillion.com/MailAdmin/> for an explanation of this session

250 ok

NOOP *** HexValidEmail COM 1.4.12 <5c31a8fa73d35685c3baa1e0430da151bdc52a85>

250 ok

RSET

250 flushed

MAIL FROM:<HexValidEmail[at]hexillion.com>

250 ok

RCPT TO:<hextest382E[at]spamcop.net>

550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1)

RCPT TO:<you[at]spamcop.net>

250 ok

RSET

250 flushed

QUIT

221 mxin1.cesmail.net

[Connection closed]

Talked to a Sean (126) ... explained that both the Parsing & Reporting System and the E-mail systems had full-blown SMTP servers. I suggested that perhaps they had set up outgoing filters that were tripping on the "spam" part of spamcop.net. Was put on hold for a while .... he's asking that you give them a call (1-888-336-3318) so they can open up a ticket and send it over to the networking folks to find out what's really going on. I'd asked him to take a look here to see what was provided ... he said the same thing I was thinking .. the "could not deliver" message should have contained a "reason" but that data wasn't provided here.

I also ran into an issue in that you Registered from one IP Address (using a spamcop.net address) but posted from a different address. So there really wasn't an easy way to identify you as part of their user base, thus another reason for you to call them directly.

I'd asked him to take a look here to see what was provided ... he said the same thing I was thinking .. the "could not deliver" message should have contained a "reason" but that data wasn't provided here.
the message is:
The message was rejected for the following reason: Permanent Failure: Message delivery failed. You are not allowed to send to the requested destination address.
i'll call them and see if this can get sorted out.

Don't use it, others may have similar stories. Sounds like they are confusing the mail accounts with something else. Point them to http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/289.html and/or the output from http://hexillion.com/asp/samples/ValidateEmail.asp with your address, "require MX records" and "test for catch-all" checked.
well, i haven't had any problems for years. i'd rather get the situation fixed than go through the trouble of changing isps. i sent them the output from hexillion.

i'll call them and see if this can get sorted out.
i called and spoke with angel. i told her the error message text and she was also able to get the error message herself. she gave me a ticket number and told me the network folks would be looking into it.

she said there was some other person that contacted them with the same problem (maybe it was wazoo; maybe another copper.net customer), and she had already started to look into the problem.

...well, i haven't had any problems for years. i'd rather get the situation fixed than go through the trouble of changing isps. i sent them the output from hexillion.
Sorry - betrayed by brevity - I meant "I don't use webmail", I was not advising you to change anything. All's well ... (that ends well). Good luck - but I don't imagine your difficulties will last much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the latest response from copper.net:

To: <xxx[at]copper.net>

Subject: Email issue

Date: Tue 02/10/09 10:38 AM

Dear Mr. Capoccia:

Hello, this is Copper.net Support. We are getting back in touch with you regarding your problem sending email to xxx[at]spamcop.net from your Copper.net webmail.

Networking has investigated this problem. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, it looks like you will not able to forward messages directly from your Copper.net webmail to xxx[at]spamcop.net. You should be able to send out messages through an email program. You could also forward the messages to another email address, and set that email address to automatically forward to your Copper.net webmail.

I am sorry we could not help further in this matter. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Copper.net Support Tier II

1-888-336-3318

This is the latest response from copper.net:
...due to circumstances beyond our control, it looks like you will not able to forward messages directly from your Copper.net webmail to xxx[at]spamcop.net. ...
Gee, I wonder who does control their server? Seems like it might be flogging a dead horse to invite them to change their ways. But, undoubtedly there are others in the same boat. Unless someone can suggest something specific, I suggest you browse the Wiki (once more working brilliantly) to see if any of the "How I use SpamCop" entries seems helpful - http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/PageIndex?letter=H.

I have my webmail POPed to an ancient free e-mail application (Mozilla) and 'forward as attachment' batches of caught spam from that (much more flexible than webmail). 'Always' have had - in fact I didn't realise that's what I was doing until I first came to these forums (thought that was just the way it always worked). Unfortunately my own ISP's next trick lately is to silently block the submissions (beacause they have spam in them) so it's a battle of wits to slip submissions past them. Unaccountably I'm winning at the moment but at some cost in bandwidth. But that's another story.

• 1 month later...
Gee, I wonder who does control their server?

I happened to notice this thread and wanted to chime in... a few weeks ago I got a sheepish call from a support person at a brokerage I use (Edward Jones). I say "sheepish" because she was very apologetic (and probably dreading dealing with someone who might not understand). She told me she had been told to call me because I wasn't receiving my online statement notices because their server will not deliver to any email address with "spam" in the name. She told me the problem had been discovered almost by mistake, knowing I had changed my address many months ago. I actually had not noticed I was still getting the paper statements because I have been busy. She practically begged me to change my address -- I inferred she was under a lot of pressure to get folks to switch from postal statements to online.

I did accommodate them ... I get lots of online statements nowadays so I set up a new email address on a domain I own WITHOUT "spam" in the name, so (at present) I use a separate account for all my online statements.

Thanks Tommy - with spamfighters like these on our side, the battle is all but over ;) .

...their server will not deliver to any email address with "spam" in the name. ...
:lol: So the server is in control - probably a good thing for a brokerage firm, keeps the fees down by obviating the need for executive bonuses.

It was the case, and probably still is, that people setting up an e-mail account had the choice of using either the spamcop.net or cesmail.net domains. Maybe the latter would a good choice for new accounts - the supply of uninformed idiots baulking at sending straight mail to the SC domain and impervious to both education and ridicule may be increasing. At the same time, as we know, spammers long ago lost any fear of sending spam to SC addresses. You were fortunate to be able to create another address you were prepared to use - though JT might be amenable to allowing existing members to switch domains as an option to that (I don't know but it wouldn't hurt any in a similar situation to ask him). But what a drag, these people shouldn't be needlessly inconveniencing their clients this way (or any way). US companies used to be so professional.

I had a similar occurance with my <<academic>> provider. Changes they made recently prevents me from using spampal to filter my e-mail. Obviously they want to keep those secret so I cant even attempt to find a fix. Botttom line is that a lot of these providers make changes to cut their cost and take shortcuts that don't consider the more proactive end users. It is annoying and frustrating that we have our hands tied in this fight.

<snip>US companies used to be so professional.
...Yep, before the advent of massive quantities of spam made their lives more difficult .... :) <g> Blame the spammer, not the companies who are trying to avoid spamming (even if they could be doing a better job, as in this case).

Archived