SpamCop will no longer accept email larger than 50.0K bytes

ZaGaZ

Hi...

Firstly apologies if this has been explained elsewhere - i had a quick look and only found old topics.

I have been reporting spams for years via forwarding them as attachments.

This week I have received lots of fails with "SpamCop will no longer accept email larger than 50.0K bytes"

What should i do with emails bigger than 50Kb?  Should i just report the header info?

Should I remove any images?

Thanks for any advice....

Gaz

• 1 year later...

I am getting this message very often.  I check the number of bytes in my word processor.  I never send anything more than 40K bytes.  Why does SpamCop complain very often about these message sources?  How do you count the number of characters anyway?  I suspect that if I sent one of 100 characters, you would also complain that it was too long, although you would have numerous other complaints.

Also, there seems to be no problem when I submit the report.  Almost every time I login, there is a message for me that says I am submitting a report that is too large. Is it possible for your code writers to catch the real problem and report it as soon as I submit the wrongly formatted report?  Sometimes, I wonder if SpamCop is still actually operational at all. The coders don't really seem to have it all together.

The size of an email, with attached spam email(s), is not the same as the number of characters as reported by a word processor.

Word processors (Not a simple text editor) add many (LOTS) of non-printable formatting characters to a file size. If you are using a word processor to submit spam to SpamCop, this will corrupt the spam body & header and is not the proper procedure.

If you are submitting spam to SpamCop correctly and receiving the error which is the subject of this thread, read my previous post in this thread.

You might do a search of Hotmail and see how others report spam in that environment.

For your reference, I have no issue submitting emails with 20-30 email spam as attachments.

After research and review of your submitting procedure you are still having problems, asking specific reporting procedure questions (use a separate thread), in a less aggressive tone, may result in additional  assistance.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:57 PM, ZaGaZ said:

Should I remove any images?

SpamCop will do this auto-magically, reason is SpamCop processes millions (?) of spams a minute (just guessing), which ,if were over a certain size criteria would slow everyone down to a very slow crawl 
If you want to forward as attachment to a abuse desk from your own email account you can. put the IP you are reporting on the blank page.

On 1/25/2019 at 7:59 AM, stan55 said:

I am getting this message very often.  I check the number of bytes in my word processor.  I never send anything more than 40K bytes.  Why does SpamCop complain very often about these message sources?  How do you count the number of characters anyway?  I suspect that if I sent one of 100 characters, you would also complain that it was too long, although you would have numerous other complaints.

Also, there seems to be no problem when I submit the report.  Almost every time I login, there is a message for me that says I am submitting a report that is too large. Is it possible for your code writers to catch the real problem and report it as soon as I submit the wrongly formatted report?  Sometimes, I wonder if SpamCop is still actually operational at all. The coders don't really seem to have it all together.

depending on the email program/UI you use, if you run into a >50k problem, you might want to try to export the spam as .eml or .txt (depending on the ability of your emailer) and check the size like that. You can then use a text program like notepad (if you use M$) and go down about half the way into the message and just delete the rest from there on down. then attach the truncated file to a new email and send it to your secret email code at spamcop.

w/r to the login, that happens when you are not logged in and end up with a link to a previously reported spam

I get that often and all I do is click on the report spam tab/link at the top of the page. that solves it.

Archived