SpamCop automation from the desktop?

I've been a SpamCop account holder for some time and it's been very handy service for me. However, over the last few months the amount of spam that I've been receiving (and the amount of spam that SpamCop has been catching) has increased dramatically. Checking my held mail frequently is time-consuming and slightly painful through the existing web interface.

I've created a little application that reads my held mail and lets me process it in a slightly more flexible manner. I'd like to use this application and I'd also like to make it freely available to other users of SpamCop if it's of any use to them.

I thought it would probably be a good idea to post this before I upload the tool or start using it much myself, as I'm sure the powers that be would like to have an idea what it will do to their system! At the moment the tool retrieves data from SpamCop by scraping the "VER" web interface. It's just as efficient as the web interface in that it makes the same number of requests, and I've built the application in a way that could let me replace the fragile screen-scraping with a POP check or some such.

If anyone on the team has any concerns I'll be happy to send them the source code.

Cheers,

A

Even if you use Quick Reporting, you are still supposed to look at the from address and subject of each message in order to ensure that you are only reporting spam. Also, I have moved this Topic to the SpamCop Email forum, where it belongs.

I've been a SpamCop account holder for some time and it's been very handy service for me. However, over the last few months the amount of spam that I've been receiving (and the amount of spam that SpamCop has been catching) has increased dramatically. Checking my held mail frequently is time-consuming and slightly painful through the existing web interface.

I've created a little application that reads my held mail and lets me process it in a slightly more flexible manner. I'd like to use this application and I'd also like to make it freely available to other users of SpamCop if it's of any use to them.

I thought it would probably be a good idea to post this before I upload the tool or start using it much myself, as I'm sure the powers that be would like to have an idea what it will do to their system! At the moment the tool retrieves data from SpamCop by scraping the "VER" web interface. It's just as efficient as the web interface in that it makes the same number of requests, and I've built the application in a way that could let me replace the fragile screen-scraping with a POP check or some such.

If anyone on the team has any concerns I'll be happy to send them the source code.

Cheers,

A

well well .. can i have a try of it ?

Even if you use Quick Reporting, you are still supposed to look at the from address and subject of each message in order to ensure that you are only reporting spam.  Also, I have moved this Topic to the SpamCop Email forum, where it belongs.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough! It's not a tool for blanket reporting of all messages; it's a tool that aims to make it easier to review and then process each held message.

In response to ahnah, there's an early version of the application available here:

http://www.lothianproductions.co.uk/deskscop

Please give it a go, and I'd appreciate any feedback you have.

Thanks,

A

Archived