AOL report address

flagginator

While you're doing detective work on spam submission addresses, how about checking with AOL.

Here's the deal: When I submit to abuse [at]AOL.com they bounce back with a notice to use tosemail1 [at]aol.com if it's spam.

Why does Spamcop use: abuse [at]aol.com

if it's a bad address?

Can you follow this up?

Yes, I've already read the FAQ's and pinned stuff and I'm still not convinced that either address is live as AOL never replies to direct spam submissions anyway.

I want to verify that Spamcop is reporting to the latest and greatest AOL spam abuse email address.

Isn't there a Federal Law [H73Z] et al that states that all ISPs must use the abuse[at]

nomenclature for their spam submission address?

What detective work? Already provided an FTC response on the address change. As far as AOL, I ended my last bit of work on that the last time you brought it up .. see http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2320 I also provided a direct link to the CAN-spam act at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=13689 .. but for completeness, here it is again http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.877: .. and I actually believe you are thinking of the alleged "working unsubscribe address" .... and even at that, this is only a U.S. document ....

Again, after reading those links why does Spamcop choose to use abuse [at]aol.com when that is no longer a live address?

16617[/snapback]

...Looks to me as if http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2320, referenced in Wazoo's reply, above, answers this question. Perhaps you just didn't like the answer? :) <g>

You're not understanding my issue. The issue is that abuse [at]aol.com is a dead address, but that's where Spamcop sends the AOL reports.

Those links confirm or confuse that. Even the AOL one confirms and confuses it.

My question remains unanswered, and it's been taken way off track.

Spamcop appears to be reporting to a dead reporting address-- even according to the AOL page.

And, I know for a fact that for Compuserve those abuse addresses listed on the AOL site do NOT work. They bounce.

So, AOL is messed up with spam reporting.

And, Spamcop is sending to an outdated reporting address.

If you cannot accept that, then please do your own research and get back to me with some clear and different facts. Until then we are in the ditch on this one.

You're not understanding my issue. The issue is that abuse [at]aol.com is a dead address, but that's where Spamcop sends the AOL reports.

Those links confirm or confuse that. Even the AOL one confirms and confuses it.

My question remains unanswered, and it's been taken way off track.

Spamcop appears to be reporting to a dead reporting address-- even according to the AOL page.

And, I know for a fact that for Compuserve those abuse addresses listed on the AOL site do NOT work. They bounce.

So, AOL is messed up with spam reporting.

And, Spamcop is sending to an outdated reporting address.

If you cannot accept that, then please do your own research and get back to me with some clear and different facts. Until then we are in the ditch on this one.

16627[/snapback]

...The snippy tone you display in the last line of your last post isn't warranted, IMHO.

...My reading of the aforementioned thread is that there isn't anything SpamCop can do about it and nothing those who have researched the problem can figure out what SpamCop can do about it. Sometimes you just have to throw up your hands in dismay and say, I tried but there's nothing that can be done.

...What would you suggest?

No intent to be snippy. Sorry if it's taken that way. Only stating that we're going in circles about a side issue.

My current issue is with abuse [at]aol.com which Spamcop uses for reporting, but AOL does not acknowledge as a live address, and my experience confirms that it's dead.

I'm only trying to keep this on my side topic.

My current issue is with abuse [at]aol.com which Spamcop uses for reporting, but AOL does not acknowledge as a live address, and my experience confirms that it's dead.

Does it bounce or does AOL just not auto-ack or ack at all to messages sent to it?

No intent to be snippy. Sorry if it's taken that way. <snip>

16631[/snapback]

...Perhaps I was mistaken in taking your "If you cannot accept that, then please do your own research and get back to me with some clear and different facts." as an ad-homimen attack. If so, then I apologize. If not, I accept your apology. :) <g>

<snip>

16631[/snapback]

...Understood (think). And my take on the other thread is that the whole subject is dead -- there's nothing that can be done about it, at least not right now.

Those other posts mainly come to the same conclusion. They also come to the conclusion that the address aol provides as a replacement does not seem to be replying at all, even with a useless auto-reply.

AOL has registered abuse[at]aol.com as the correct place to report spam.

Spamcop is taking the better of 2 bad options, until a better option comes along.

When I used to get replies from AOL after submitting to abuse [at]aol.com their auto-reply said not to send them to abuse [at]aol.com

It said to use Tosemail1 [at]aol.com

But, there was never a reply to those.

AOL's current page would indicate that abuse [at]aol.com was retired and this is confirmed by the auto-replies I used to get.

My question is why does Spamcop report to abuse [at]aol.com when even the AOL page states that a different address should be used.

I assumed tosemail1 [at]aol.com had been retired too.

Now, additionally another side issue is Compuserve abuse. I know for a fact that sending a report to abuse [at]cs.com or abuse [at]compuserve.com will bounce.

The good news is that only a couple of AOL spams come through my email box these days. AOL used to be a major spam through-pipe, but somehow they got it basically under control.

The Earthlink and Mindspring ones are way down too.

Now, as for pacbell, sprint, etc. they suck right now.

I have questions. I don't have the answers.

The amount or lack of auto-replies we/I get from these repeated offenders never seems to correlate with their action or lack of thereoff, in the end they all seem to handdle it as an internal matter and they seem to view the SpamCop reports they accept or bounce as a nuisance to ignore and disregard. If they ever take action is because their own users start to complain in large enough numbers when they end up on SCBL.

But, when I did get the auto-replies from abuse [at]AOL.com , the reply was always don't use this address; if you are reporting spam use this address:

If you are reporting an attack use this address:

If you are reporting violations of our TOU use this address:

So, my question remains why does Spamcop report to abuse [at]aol.com when it has not been a good address for at least three years?

My concern is the AOL reports are all for naught.

Is there an AOL user here that can contact AOL and get an email in writing from them about their current abuse reporting address?

If any replies are going to send me in a circle again, let's not bother, OK? I'm not talking through my hat and I don't want to waste your time or mine. Wait, that's the way my worst spam nightmare emails used to start...remember those? :)

How can I contact the admins of the service? They're the ones that need to know about the AOL reporting problem.

My question is why does Spamcop report to abuse [at]aol.com when even the AOL page states that a different address should be used.

IMHO, they are using the abuse[at] address because that is what AOL has told the internet to use (through abuse.net). If they wish to change this action, they should modify their entry at abuse.net.

Using abuse net on abuse[at]aol.net

abuse net aol.net = abuse[at]aol.com

Using best contacts abuse[at]aol.com

I did not miss anything. I have no way to contact AOL, nor am I (thankfully) a member of AOL.

Spamcop will have to use their leverage to get an answer from AOL. I'm only the peanut gallery.

If Spamcop does not mind sending reports to a dead address, then so be it.

You might have missed the post too where I suggested (paraphrased) that it would be better served for me to escalate this to an actual Spamcop admin.

No need to continue sending me in circles. I'm not an idiot, so we can stop that circle jerking dance :)

I did not miss anything. <snip>

16711[/snapback]

...Then one of us has a comprehension problem, because the post for which you thank StevenUnderwood as a "good reply" is, IIUC, little more than a restatement of StevenUnderwood's earlier reply in this thread.

Spamcop will have to use their leverage to get an answer from AOL. I'm only the peanut gallery.

16711[/snapback]

...As are we all. :) <g>

If Spamcop does not mind sending reports to a dead address, then so be it.

16711[/snapback]

...That's exactly what StevenUnderwood wrote, twice!

You might have missed the post too where I suggested (paraphrased) that it would be better served for me to escalate this to an actual Spamcop admin.
...No, I didn't. Wazoo, as moderator, does an outstanding job in identifying what forum issues merit raising to the SpamCop PTB, although many times replies are very slow in coming (if they come at all). This forum is far more responsive to inquiries such as this.

No need to continue sending me in circles. I'm not an idiot, so we can stop that circle jerking dance :)

16711[/snapback]

...You're not doing a very good job convincing me of that. :) <g>

Circular arguments are just that, circular!

more to enlighten on that topic can be found HERE...

To paraphrase:

Good informal arguments offer justification for their conclusions. They go wrong if the

justifications double back, rendering the arguments circular. Circularity, however, is not necessarily a

single property of an argument, but may depend on (a) whether the argument repeats an earlier claim,

(B) whether the repetition occurs within the same line of justification, and © whether the claim is

properly grounded in agreed-upon information. (/snip)... judgments of circularity depend heavily on repetition and

structural role of claims, but only minimally on grounding. Judgments of reasonableness take repetition

and grounding into account, but are relatively insensitive to structural role.

...nuff said!

Archived