Blacklisting of known legit newsletters...

JustToddSF

When is SpamCop going to have some respect and consistency as far as established, legit newsletters are concerned ?

I don't rely on SpamCop anymore, and I don't let my clients use it either, because of the false blacklisting of so many known legit newsletters and email addresses. I just checked my current mail against the current SpamCop blacklist, and far, far too many of the tech and health news newsletters I subscribe to are listed - this is messed up.

There is no good reason to blacklist distribution[at]lewrockwell.com, Dr. Mercola's newsletter, SearchWin2000, Business Intelligence Report, Linux Report, InfoWorld's AdviceLine, CTO Connection, DBA Support, DataBase Journal, or Dr. Tim O'Shea's newsletter. These are all long running newsletters. Stop blacklisting them and maby people will use SpamCop more, and maby I can recommend a subscription to my cleints.

When is SpamCop going to have some respect and consistency as far as established, legit newsletters are concerned ?

I don't rely on SpamCop anymore, and I don't let my clients use it either, because of the false blacklisting of so many known legit newsletters and email addresses.  I just checked my current mail against the current SpamCop blacklist, and far, far too many of the tech and health news newsletters I subscribe to are listed - this is messed up. 

There is no good reason to blacklist distribution[at]lewrockwell.com, Dr. Mercola's newsletter, SearchWin2000, Business Intelligence Report, Linux Report, InfoWorld's AdviceLine, CTO Connection, DBA Support, DataBase Journal, or Dr. Tim O'Shea's newsletter.  These are all long running newsletters.  Stop blacklisting them and maby people will use SpamCop more, and maby I can recommend a subscription to my cleints.

Could you please give specific examples with IP addresses of the servers in question? Anecdotal comments are not useful in resolving situations.

I don't rely on SpamCop anymore, and I don't let my clients use it either, because of the false blacklisting of so many known legit newsletters and email addresses.  I just checked my current mail against the current SpamCop blacklist, and far, far too many of the tech and health news newsletters I subscribe to are listed - this is messed up. 

There is no good reason to blacklist distribution[at]lewrockwell.com, Dr. Mercola's newsletter, SearchWin2000, Business Intelligence Report, Linux Report, InfoWorld's AdviceLine, CTO Connection, DBA Support, DataBase Journal, or Dr. Tim O'Shea's newsletter.  These are all long running newsletters.  Stop blacklisting them and maby people will use SpamCop more, and maby I can recommend a subscription to my cleints.

If you go back and read what SpamCop is and how it works, you'll find a funny little note here and there that alks about things called "IP Addresses" ... you won't find things like "SpamCop blocks newsletters from xxxx", or SpamCop blocks any e-mail from xxxx[at]yyyy.zzz" .... It's all about IP Adresses.

Then you look at the history of newsletters in general. Subscription lists not managed right, not kept up to date, even failures in the unsubscribe functions .. lots of folks try one out, change their mind, then find they can't get off the list.

Then you add in the churn of e-mail addresses in the world. "dan[at]someISP.com" finally figures out that he's lost the war, so he changes his e-mail address. Along comes new computer user daniel something else and is just overjoyed to find that he can ask for and get his brand new shiney e-mail address that everyone will recognize "dan[at]someISP.com" and out into the electronic void he goes. Guess what, he's going to tell you that he didn't subscribe to all the crap he's getting in his Inbox.

So to your respect and consistency, it's there already. The DNSbl is based on the IP address that spam is seen coming from. If these newsletters are coming from the same IPA, that's something the newsletter owner needs to take up with the ISP in question. Or bring it in-house and run it from an IPA that they control.

When are list owners going to have respect for people who don't want to be on their mailing list?

One of these lists has spammed me. I never requsted their garbage and I reported them a number of times before deleting the email account they were spewing to. I suspect the others have probably done the same to other people.

The fact that a list is "long running" doesn't give it the right to spam people.

They'll stop being added to the blocklist when they stop sending emails to people who didn't request to be on their lists. If any of the list owners believe they are being falsely accused they can follow the link in any of the spam reports or go to http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/167.html for details on what they need to do to stop the false reports.

Archived