Church E-mail

Dave H.

In 1996, I helped my church set up a system whereby we could e-mail weekly bulletins, prayer chain requests, etc. Up until about a year or so ago, I had no problems. Ever since then, however, my e-mails occasionally get blocked by Spamcop. I have tried working with both the sending ISP (Compuserve) and the receiving ISP's but to no avail. Is there anything that you can do to help me resolve this issue? I am not a spammer, everything I send out by bulk is requested by the person receiving it. Please, I would like to get this problem resolved.

Sincerely,

Dave Hauskins

It's hard to help without an IP.  Post one of the bounced messages so someone can look into it.

32547[/snapback]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry. DH

The original message was received at Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:48:50 -0400 (EDT)

from mailgate[at]localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

marsan05[at]altelco.net

(reason: 554 Service unavailable; [149.174.40.141] blocked using bl.spamcop.net, reason: Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?149.174.40.141)

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mail0.altelco.net.:

>>> DATA

<<< 554 Service unavailable; [149.174.40.141] blocked using bl.spamcop.net, reason: Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?149.174.40.141

554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

<<< 554 Error: no valid recipients

In 1996, I helped my church set up a system

Unfortunately, it's now 2005. Things change.

Ever since then, however, my e-mails occasionally get blocked by Spamcop.

As the incantation goes, SpamCop blocks nothing.

I have tried working with both the sending ISP (Compuserve) and the receiving ISP's but to no avail.

Are you running your own server or is this a shared asset used by many Compuserve users (and perhaps other spammers)???

Is there anything that you can do to help me resolve this issue? I am not a spammer, everything I send out by bulk is requested by the person receiving it.

32546[/snapback]

Also unfortunately, your self-description is also a bit of an incantation by many a spammer.

As already mentioned, more data is needed to even begin to look at your situation. This data is seen in various SpamCop FAQ entries (linked to at the top of each page and as a Pinned entry in each Forum section) ... Miss Betsy's Why am I Blocked? FAQ entry and pinned item ... and in the many previous posts within this Forum section.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=blcheck&ip=149.174.40.141

149.174.40.141 not listed in bl.spamcop.net

http://www.senderbase.org/?searchBy=ipaddr...=149.174.40.141

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Average

Last day ........ 4.5 .. 161%

Last 30 days .. 4.4 .. 127%

Average ........ 4.0

Parsing input: 149.174.40.141

host 149.174.40.141 (getting name) = siaag2ah.compuserve.com.

Routing details for 149.174.40.141

[refresh/show] Cached whois for 149.174.40.141 : domains[at]aol.net

Using abuse net on domains[at]aol.net

abuse net aol.net = abuse[at]aol.com

Using best contacts abuse[at]aol.com

saw nothing in Google, perhaps someone will post a 'history' .. but at present ... did you follow the link referenced? Hove you looked at your list, checked logs, etc. to see if there is any outgoing traffic that falls under the "bad" traffic?

Sure looks like someone is sending spam from that machine, but it is not a church newsletter causing the blocking.

Report History:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:53:09 PM -0400:

Is that your girl?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted: Monday, September 05, 2005 8:48:03 AM -0400:

Perfect Cartier Replica

Submitted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:01:19 PM -0400:

Start saving and go mobile with exclusive e-mail coupons.

Submitted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:04:40 AM -0400:

Looking rich

Submitted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:08:13 AM -0400:

Stock-Alert for the Savvy Investor betray afterlife

You are known as collateral damage. Get CompuServe/AOL to get rid of the spammers and you will have no more problems. Alternately, if the receiving end has whitelisting capabilities, they could get your message.

Evidentally Compuserve is using this IP address for many different users. Unfortunately, some people seem not to want to believe I am who I say I am. I AM connected with a church here in Grand Rapids, MI and can provide the name of the church and the Pastor if those people don't wish to believe me.

Dave H.

Evidentally Compuserve is using this IP address for many different users. Unfortunately, some people seem not to want to believe I am who I say I am. I AM connected with a church here in Grand Rapids, MI and can provide the name of the church and the Pastor if those people don't wish to believe me.

Dave H.

32553[/snapback]

Hi, Dave,

...It isn't the people in this forum you have to convince, but rather the ISPs and MSPs (e-Mail Service Providers) who are using the SpamCop BL to block the CompuServe servers.

...It might be worth it for you to seek a more responsible provider, if you do not find anyone at CompuServe who can figure out how to route you through a server that is not shared with spammers.

...Good luck!

Evidentally Compuserve is using this IP address for many different users.

This is what was suggested earlier. The impact being .. you are complaining about "your e-mail" being blocked whereas the reality is that the Compuserve e-mail server(s) in question are the items that have made it to the SpamCopDNSBL, in turn blocked by other ISPs .. actually blocking "all" e-mail coming from that/those servers.

Unfortunately, some people seem not to want to believe I am who I say I am. I AM connected with a church here in Grand Rapids, MI and can provide the name of the church and the Pastor if those people don't wish to believe me.

32553[/snapback]

Would have to assume you've taken the "spammers have poisoned the well" comments personally for some reason. I invite you once again to check the FAQ here, read other discussions.

You shouldn't get upset. Just try to understand you are sharing a mail server and a spammer seems to have taken up a home on this server. Most admins block by IP address and not the "from" email address as spammers forge these.

LIke shown above, here are a few more samples that are not church emails:

Submitted: Thursday, September 08, 2005 5:53:09 PM -0400:

Is that your girl?

Submitted: Monday, September 05, 2005 8:48:03 AM -0400:

Perfect Cartier Replica

Submitted: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:01:19 PM -0400:

Start saving and go mobile with exclusive e-mail coupons.

Submitted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 6:04:40 AM -0400:

Looking rich

Submitted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 3:08:13 AM -0400:

Stock-Alert for the Savvy Investor betray afterlife

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You better have another talk with the ISP because they seem to like spammers more than churches.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what was suggested earlier.  The impact being .. you are complaining about "your e-mail" being blocked whereas the reality is that the Compuserve e-mail server(s) in question are the items that have made it to the SpamCopDNSBL, in turn blocked by other ISPs .. actually blocking "all" e-mail coming from that/those servers.

Would have to assume you've taken the "spammers have poisoned the well" comments personally for some reason.  I invite you once again to check the FAQ here, read other discussions.

32557[/snapback]

My apologies. It is just that after a year and a half, I was getting very frustrated. I will tell you, I finally got a hold of someone at Compuserve's Community Action Team this afternoon whom I THINK know's what they are doing and has, hopefully, taken care of the situation. I'm not holding my breath, however. Thanks, guys, for your help.

Dave H.

Moderator: Merged the 2 posts into one

My apologies. It is just that after a year and a half, I was getting very frustrated. I will tell you, I finally got a hold of someone at Compuserve's Community Action Team this afternoon whom I THINK know's what they are doing and has, hopefully, taken care of the situation. I'm not holding my breath, however. Thanks, guys, for your help.

32565[/snapback]

Hi Dave H!

I wouldn't hold your breath on the resolution... CompuServe has such a large community of users that they are pretty much bound to be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to tackling spam and therefore your Church newsletters are at high risk of getting caught up in the spew.

I'd advise moving to a smaller (not tiny), perhaps more local ISP, and use their mail server to send your outgoing messages. This approach solved all the problems we had with our Church Email several years ago. Or you could even consider running your own mail server if you have the time to keep a watch on it.

Andrew

Andrew:

Thanks for the "Heads Up". However, I do have to tell you that I sent out a church e-mail last night and not one of them were blocked by Spamcop. However, as I said, I will not hold my breath.

I would have changed ISP's long ago but I have been a user of Compuserve Classic for nearly 20 years, and I like the ease of use of their address book. So much easier to use than some of them that I have tried.

Dave H.

Archived